What is VFO Scanning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadiationX

Does anyone know what this is, I look in the WIki and over the internet but im not quite sure what it is?

JESSERABBIT

Where, and in what context did you hear about this? It may be something which is not related to scanners. Typically, a VFO (variable frequency osciallator) is a means by which the operator can change the operating frequency of a radio by turning a dial. (or by computer control)

n4voxgill

Silent Key
years ago it was common to enter a frequency in the VFO and then hit a button that would scan up or down the band from the frequency you entered.

Pimpala03

It's probably where you can search through the VFO and find active frequencies. Search each consecutive frequency in a specific range (i.e. 155.000 - 161.0000) instead of only the ones you've input into your bank.

k9rzz

With the Icom R7000 or R7100, you can tune them like a regular general coverage receiver. Just turn the dial and search for sigs.

John K9RZZ

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
You can do that on several of the Uniden scanners as well! My BC796D's have VFO capability, as does several other Uniden models. It gives you the ability to manually tune through frequencies instead of preprogrammed channels.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.