Scanning in Bermuda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

My uncle from Bermuda (he's a correctional officer there) is interested in getting a scanner to listen to police, fire, EMS and airport frequencies in Bermuda. I got a brand new BC246T this past Christmas and, my old Pro-95 is just lying around doing nothing (its 3 years old and still runs great). I want to ship my Pro-95 to him so he could use it. But my questions are (1) is it legal to possess a scanner in Bermuda, (2) are the freqs encrypted, conventional, etc., and (3) where could I get Bermuda freqs so I can pre-program it for my uncle?

Regards...

SAR923

I was in Bermuda several years ago. The police were on a TETRA system that can't be monitored by any scanner. The fire service was on UHF. As far as I know, there is no prohibition against scanners in Bermuda but I should think your uncle would know something about this. I did not keep a list of frequencies when I was there - I just put the scanner in search mode and entered frequencies as I found them. I have no idea where you might find a frequency listing but, again, I should think your uncle could get that information. By far the busiest frequencies were the VHF marine band, which is used for almost everything on the island from cruise liners to taxicabs.

Rover

This months Monitoring Times has an article on a cruiser who went too Bermuda with radio gear and did SWL + Scanning. The focus of the article seems too be around marine related stuff, HF and Ham Radio stuff. There seems too be lots of VHF marine stuff (of course) but it might be a place too start.

Feb 2007 Monitoring Times

"A Visit to ZBR Bermuda Radio"
by Ron Walsh VE3GO
pages 10- 13

and

" Dxing From Bermuda " same issue page 14 by David Parmet

73 + Good Luck..Ray KB4OMO

ecps92

Bermuda

Oct 2005 I was there, and there was some P-25 800 TRS as well as Analog 800 TRS.

SAR2401 said:
I was in Bermuda several years ago. The police were on a TETRA system that can't be monitored by any scanner. The fire service was on UHF. As far as I know, there is no prohibition against scanners in Bermuda but I should think your uncle would know something about this. I did not keep a list of frequencies when I was there - I just put the scanner in search mode and entered frequencies as I found them. I have no idea where you might find a frequency listing but, again, I should think your uncle could get that information. By far the busiest frequencies were the VHF marine band, which is used for almost everything on the island from cruise liners to taxicabs.

crazzycatman

Premium Subscriber
scanning in Bermuda

Scanning in Bermuda has gone down hill. Police were on 410.025 for a long time then wentencrypted p 25 around 99 i believe. it arond the time i got the uniden digital brick. You can legally own a scanner on the island, but you must obtain a permit that never expires. ODD, the last one i got did not have a serial number on it so it could be used for any i guess. Fire and ems are all 800trs. same as the airport fd. all fire stations and the airport fd have a common talk channel as well as the ability to talk with the ATC. I left there in 2000, i will try and dig up my old files if i didnt throw them out.

Hope this might help a bit.

Chris.

ecps92

Hot info, off the press from Bermuda's FCC

Good morning,

We apologize for the delay in responding to your email. Technician Class is accepted. The process is as follows:-

1. Apply in writing or by email, with a copy of your U.S. licence, to bevans@gov.bm or mfubler@gov.bm or by fax to 441-295-1462;
2. Give us details of where you will be staying in Bermuda, arrival and departure dates;
3. Permits are issued for a period of up to 3 months. There is no charge for this service.

With regard to radio scanners, a permit would have to be issued and an application form completed. We need to know the manufacturer, model and serial number of the scanner and of course your name and address. There is no charge for this service. However, we do not give out frequency lists. They are all confidential.

If you require any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Miriam Fubler
Administrative Officer
Dept. of Telecommunications
(441)298-7443 (Direct Line)
(441)295-1462 (Fax)

Hey guys,

My uncle from Bermuda (he's a correctional officer there) is interested in getting a scanner to listen to police, fire, EMS and airport frequencies in Bermuda. I got a brand new BC246T this past Christmas and, my old Pro-95 is just lying around doing nothing (its 3 years old and still runs great). I want to ship my Pro-95 to him so he could use it. But my questions are (1) is it legal to possess a scanner in Bermuda, (2) are the freqs encrypted, conventional, etc., and (3) where could I get Bermuda freqs so I can pre-program it for my uncle?

Regards...

JMM-BDA

I live here in Bermuda. I had ordered 3 or so scanners since the beginning of the year. All came in fine & passed through Bermuda Customs - just had to pay the duty. Then, all of a sudden on my next scanner, it got stopped by Bermuda Customs, and I had to obtain a (free) licence from Government & fax it to Customs before they would release that scanner. I ordered another scanner since then, and that one was not stopped.

The license is no big deal, and again, it's free. The lady at the Government office was very nice & helpful - she even put all my scanners on 1 license. I don't know her name, but maybe she's the Miriam in ecps92's email.

Is your scanner that you're sending your uncle a gift (i.e. does he know you're sending it to him)? If so, just provide him with the make, model & serial number, and have him obtain the license before you ship it to him. Tell him it's in the Government office, the door to the right of Marketplace on Church Street, 2nd floor. He just fills in a brief form (less than a minute), and she does the license up while he waits. Your scanner may get through without being stopped, but if it is stopped, at least he'll have the license that he can fax Customs.

As for frequencies ...... all that I can help you/him with are the aviation frequencies, as that's all I monitor. He can see a listing of the aviation ones here.

Sorry that I can't be of more help on the other bands.

Regards,
John

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.