Terminology PL/DPL CTCSS/DCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
So I've recently been starting to reach out further and further away from my home area and listen to other counties. Since many of these distant counties use the same frequencies as my local counties I've finally given in and started entering tone codes to be able to differentiate who is talking.

My question is one of terminology. My software has DCS and CTCSS but the databases list PL and DPL codes. Is CTCSS the same as PL and DCS the same as DPL?

Also I've noticed CSQ listed in the tone on somq frequencies.
What does that mean?

I've read the Wiki and I think I understand but I wasn't sure so before I enter a ton of mistakes I wanted to check with the experts.

Thanks

N

N_Jay

CTCSS-Continuous Tone Coded Squelch - Brand names; PL(Private Line), QC(Quiet Channel), CG(Channel Guard)

DCS-Digital Coded Squelch - Brand names; DPL, DCG

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
CSQ = carrier squelch Basically no tones of any kind are used on this frequency 73s Mike

fuzzymoto

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys....same technology different names. I appreciate the help...now on to the work of plugging them all in for my distant counties.

n1das

fuzzymoto said:
My question is one of terminology. My software has DCS and CTCSS but the databases list PL and DPL codes. Is CTCSS the same as PL and DCS the same as DPL?

Also I've noticed CSQ listed in the tone on somq frequencies.
What does that mean?

I've read the Wiki and I think I understand but I wasn't sure so before I enter a ton of mistakes I wanted to check with the experts.

CSQ = Carrier squelch

CTCSS = Continuous Tone-Coded Squelch System
CTCSS brand names: Private-Line (PL), Channel Guard (CG), Quiet Tone (QT)

DPL = Motorola Digital Private Line (DPL). Motorola trademarked the DPL name, so other radio manufacturers have to call it something different. Digital Coded Squelch (DCS) appears to be the generic name. Although DCS and DPL are the same thing, if it's not a Motorola radio you're referring to, it's not DPL. Kenwood calls it Digital Quiet Tone (DQT) in their radios. ICOM calls it Digital Tone-Coded Squelch (DTCS).

Terp

where can I get all the codes, acronyms, terminologys, etc.? It would be helpful for me when I read posts. thanks Terp

N

N_Jay

Terp said:
where can I get all the codes, acronyms, terminologys, etc.? It would be helpful for me when I read posts. thanks Terp

Google and Wiki are good places to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.