MDC1200 on Ham

Status
Not open for further replies.

bezking

Do you get annoyed when you hear MDC1200 signals on Ham or GMRS?

I personally don't care. However, I do wonder why hams are using old LE gear on Ham. If they reprogrammed the radio for ham, why not remove the MDC???

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
bezking said:

Because it's a useful signaling format, and sometimes the Old Farts need to be annoyed :lol:

bezking said:
I personally don't care. However, I do wonder why hams are using old LE gear on Ham.

Why do you assume they are using LE gear? Anyone could have used the radios in the past..... I know that commerical gear is betetr than ham gear 95% of the time, thats good enough for me...

bezking

Grog said:
Because it's a useful signaling format, and sometimes the Old Farts need to be annoyed :lol:

Why do you assume they are using LE gear? Anyone could have used the radios in the past..... I know that commerical gear is betetr than ham gear 95% of the time, thats good enough for me...

OK, so Commercial OR LE, I just meant non-ham because why would someone want MDC on a ham rig?

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
bezking said:
why would someone want MDC on a ham rig?

That was already answered.....

If you don't understand MDC1200, then read up on it. Then you'll see why it's useful.

jparks29

John McClane
because MDC will pass through most repeaters, and being that /\/\ fans usually have somewhat current gear, they can decode pages, calls, ID's, etc....

I have mine setup for post ID, so it doubles as a courtesy tone...

Usually old timers will yell about having forgotten to turn off packet....

Commercial equipment has it's pros/cons just like amateur does.....

usually much better build quality, audio quality (both tx and rx), higher sensitivity, better rejection, less intermod, etc... only down side is most don't support FPP and aren't frequency agile...

Commercial = do one thing, and do it great
amateur = do everything , and do it half assed

Last edited:

Josh

I use MDC1200, but no PTT-ID most of the time because I find it easily annoying.

DOS (Data Operated Squelch) helps get rid of most of it though, so that's a good thing. I make use of the Page, Call, and Check features.

Good stuff, gotta love MDC1200.

-Josh

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
In answer to the first question, yes.

Most repeater owners I know (in S. Louisiana) will ask you to shut off such signaling or quit using the repeater.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
bezking said:

I personally don't care. However, I do wonder why hams are using old LE gear on Ham. If they reprogrammed the radio for ham, why not remove the MDC???

1.) Because I can

2.) There is a group of us locally that use MDC1200 as intended...radio calls, paging, emergency etc with a Centracom console. We have have it disabled on most hammy repeaters, but there a couple that have matching /\/\ infrastructure which allows for seamless data operation

3.) See number 1

4.) Only one of my radios is prior law enforcement, the rest came from other sources

brandon

Database Admin
Because...

whackerue0.gif
whackerue0.gif
whackerue0.gif
whackerue0.gif
whackerue0.gif

Sorry... I just had to :D

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
It's a signalling format widely used over in Europe. Kinda sounds like a nintendo. Very annoying, and I have a strong tolerance for weird radio noises.

mkewman

MDC is also great if you have an ARC that has a decoder and everyone assigns IDs, that way if someone's rig is unplugged improperly, a stolen ID can be sent out.

also, someone i know who posts on this board uses a pre-tx ID so that the beginning of his transmissions aren't cut off by the repeater's lagtime, in otherwords, when he keys up, the MDC tone is sent, his HT beeps, and when the tone is sent he can start talking.

a great way to keep the beginning of your transmissions from being cutoff, and nobody hears the tone!

Status
Not open for further replies.