Strange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dispatrick

Premium Subscriber
i a picking up an am radio station on 152.780 calling them selves "1050am Federal news radio" but the part i dont dont understand is why, and where is 1050 federal news radio.

also I am picking up Bloomberg radio also on 1050am on 152.570. does any one know why?

thanks

N4JNW

Wow... That is strange!!!

152.570 Mhz could possibly be a harmonic of 1050Khz. But it isn't likely. In order for you to recieve the harmonic, you'd have to be inside the radio station itself pretty much.. So that rules out that possibility..

Keep listening... See what it does. LOL

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
PGMAN89 said:
i a picking up an am radio station on 152.780 calling them selves "1050am Federal news radio" but the part i dont dont understand is why, and where is 1050 federal news radio.

also I am picking up Bloomberg radio also on 1050am on 152.570. does any one know why?

thanks

WFED
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WFED

Metro​
plex Amateur Radio Club

W2MPX REPEATER NEWSLETTER​
P.O. BOX 3094, FORT LEE, NJ, 07024​
145.450/144.850 MHz - Minus 600KHZ - 100.0 Hz PL

Two Meter Repeater Interference Resolution:​
Recently, the W2MPX two meter repeater had been intermittently
receiving interference from the 152 MHz commercial
band resulting in transmitting the interference as noise.
Our repeater had to be shut off on a number of occasions
due to this interference. Armand as well as Tony, N2FDU
tracked down the source of the interference and identified it
to be a paging station (most likely illegally) transmitting continuously
on 152.780 MHz. The interfering station has since
left the air and all has been well with the two meter repeater​
since then.

Don_Burke

I remember a flop and twitch about some broadcast station using a business band channel to reach another market.

Perhaps this is the one.

Those frequencies are listed as paging channels, which probably means they were found to be unused.

Last edited:

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
zguy1243 said:
I would guess that it would be a studio to transmitter link.

This is the likely answer. Some radio and TV stations leave them on all the time, and to the untrained, it would sound like they were broadcasting on these channels, which is not the case. The database shows no license for these frequencies in NJ, in fact they fall in between allocated channels, maybe they're new narrowband allocations.

DickH

KG4LJF said:
Wow... That is strange!!!
152.570 Mhz could possibly be a harmonic of 1050Khz. But it isn't likely. In order for you to recieve the harmonic, you'd have to be inside the radio station itself pretty much.. So that rules out that possibility..
Keep listening... See what it does. LOL

1) It takes just a few seconds to divide 152.57 MHz by 1.05 MHz. That results in an imopossible number that shows it can't be a harmonic.
2) Radio stations are usually many miles away from their transmitters, so that rules out that theory.
Any more wild guesses?

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
DickH said:
1) It takes just a few seconds to divide 152.57 MHz by 1.05 MHz. That results in an imopossible number that shows it can't be a harmonic.
2) Radio stations are usually many miles away from their transmitters, so that rules out that theory.
Any more wild guesses?
152.57 MHz divided by 1.05 KHz = ~145304.7619047619, but at least I put the decimal in the correct place. However since I don't have any idea (and neither do you) what the IF's are in the scanner, I won't make broad statements like you did.

DickH

loumaag said:
152.57 MHz divided by 1.05 KHz = ~145304.7619047619, but at least I put the decimal in the correct place. However since I don't have any idea (and neither do you) what the IF's are in the scanner, I won't make broad statements like you did.

Hmmm. The last time I checked, 1.05Khz was in the audio range. :)

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
DickH said:
Hmmm. The last time I checked, 1.05Khz was in the audio range. :)
Hmm, you know Dick, you are right. Please accept my apology. :cool:

KG4LJF said:
Dang I didn't know Lou was a math whiz..... You know anything about college calculus?
You know, based on my screw up above, I wouldn't count on me being able to figure my age... :(

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi all,

"When the impossible has been eliminated, what remains however improbable is the solution."
Sherlock Holmes

First, we eliminate the impossible. If it were a harmonic of an AM broadcast station it too would be AM, however it's FM. 152.780MHz is a pager frequency and there are no other licensees in New York or New Jersey, in fact there are only a handful of pagers in both states. 1050KHz in NYC is ESPN Radio, not Bloomberg. (Bloomberg was 102.7FM but I have no idea what Mike did with it now that it went Rock.) It is not ESPN, the audio doesn't match.

I hear a continuous broadcast that sounds like talk radio here at the central NJ shore but it's very weak and pretty much unreadable. I've got a pretty darn good IC-706Mk2G with a high gain vertical up 40' and hearing the NYCTA and NYFD loud and clear with this mystery signal as low as it is it can't have much ERP or is in a bad location for me.

Now you've got me wondering too, Sherlock needs RDF for this bit of improbability and he never speculates.

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

Don_Burke said:
I remember a flop and twitch about some broadcast station using a business band channel to reach another market.

Perhaps this is the one.

I seem to remember the same, but can't find a link.

DickH

loumaag said:
Hmm, you know Dick, you are right. Please accept my apology. :cool:
You know, based on my screw up above, I wouldn't count on me being able to figure my age... :(

Isn't it around 39 ? :)

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
DickH said:
Isn't it around 39 ? :)
I wished...no wait, no I don't; too much happened to me in the '80's but thank god disco had died by when I was 39.

n7lxi

Premium Subscriber
For what it's worth, we often use a business band frequency to send "pre delay" or IFB to a remote broadcast site when we're not using an ISDN line.

When a radio station is doing it's thing, there is there is anywhere between 7 and 15 seconds of delay before the analog signal is transmitted. (7 or 8 seconds for profanity delay and 7 seconds of HD radio buffer to match the analog and digital signal to prevent choppy blending.)

So, if a station is doing a remote, they need to hear the predelay on site for phone callers, music and studio cuing. Sometimes two predelay signals are sent, one with cuing (or IFB) and the other a mix minus, without the host microphone, to create a PA feed.

OK... that's my 2 cents.

Oh yeah, we always use our RPU channels. Well, most of the time.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
n7lxi said:
Oh yeah, we always use our RPU channels. Well, most of the time.

Your post answers some specific questions I've had for a long time, that being, why exactly do I hear KFI on a 450 channel on occasion. I knew it had to do with a remote somewhere...

Is there any precident for using non-rpu frequencies because of congestion, or does this look like unlicensed operation?

10-95

zguy1243 said:
I would guess that it would be a studio to transmitter link.

Most modern broadcast stations use spectrum up around 945 Mhz for STL stuff, and most all STL stuff is digital now. If they are using that frequency for STL use they are asking for some real trouble and I don't mean from the FCC. It's just a matter of time before the right person figures out they are doing the STL on the frequency and hijacks it or jams it.

Status
Not open for further replies.