Icom IC-R20 vs. AOR AR8200 on HF/VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

metelys

I am intending to buy HF (CW/SSB) receiving portable receiver with ability to monitor VHF.
Both Icom IC-R20 and AOR AR8200 will meet my specification. Whitch of these two is better performing device for 1-250 MHz? I like Icom’s real dual watch, it is nice to monitor two VHF freq., but anyway i seek for SSB performance around 1-30 MHz.
Note: on HF I will use factory telescopic and passive loop antenna, and for VHF telescopic one. Price is not an issue.

Turbo68

Hello I got the ICOM-R20 & AOR-8200MK3 and they are excellent receivers and I use them on VHF/UHF only and both of them are good when it comes to receiving signals on the bands that i mentioned and they have got plenty of features and the dual watch on the ICOM is a good idea and it takes a while to get use to it however you cannot buy control software program for the ICOM and i run Scancat-Gold/ARC-8200 control software.

zguy1243

I had a icom R20. The R20 has the worst audio quality that I have ever heard. The speaker sounds like a pair of head phones turned up all the way laying on your desk. It was aweful. I have never used the AOR radio but I have heard very good things about it. The only thing that i liked about the R20 was the dual watch. If you want a real communications receiver hand held get a Yupiteru 7100. The yupiteru makes the R20 looks sick on every band. The Yupiteru is a hot performer on HF and the most sensitive radio that I own on VHF and UHF. I am a hard core Icom fan but the R20 was a big let down for me.

RadioWARE

For portable HF I use an FT-817 Yaesu, has great extended coverage which includes receptino on 100 kHz - 56 MHz, 76 - 108 MHz (W-FM only), 108 - 154 MHz, and 420 - 470 MHz. Runs on AA or rechargeable pack. Might be worth a look.

k4njk

I owned both the R20 and the 8200MkIII. I still have the R20. I prefer the R20 in all areas. I found it better on VHF and I was suprised with the reception on 20 meters HF. I was able to copy the hurricane net on 14.325 USB using the stock antenna. If price is not a concern then I would recommend you purchase both radios on the used market and compare them side by side. Keep one and sell the other. If you're careful shopping price you can break even on the sale. Everyone here has different experiences and there is nothing like doing you own side by side test in your specific area of interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.