Bluetooth Repeater for hands-free scanning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uplink

Here's something I use around the house for my base scanner. I thought I'd share for those interested. You can scan using any bluetooth headset that you use for your cell phone without bothering the wife and kids. Or, you can be stealthy, and scan while mowing the lawn or washing your car, people think you are just constantly talking on your cellphone. :)

I use a pair Radio Shack 43-3102, 900 Mhz intercoms, which BY ITSELF is a great gadget, good audio, and an RCA line input! The AC adapter will recharge the batteries if you like, and it has PL tone and will re-transmit your scanner audio all over your house/yard.

I then wired a tiny audio jack and toggle switch (speaker on/off) to the speaker output of the intercom. I use a Cardo BTA blue tooth adapter to transmit to the earset. The 900 Mhz intercom has about 100 feet range. The repeater just sits on a table nearby giving about another 30 feet range to the earset.

Hands free, and sounds great, and because it's my BASE scanner, and base antenna, I have much more reception range and signal quality opposed to using the handheld scanner.:wink:

Attachments

• bluetooth repeater 001.jpg
    bluetooth repeater 001.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,715
  • bluetooth repeater 004.jpg
    bluetooth repeater 004.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 2,983
  • bluetooth repeater 003.jpg
    bluetooth repeater 003.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,984
Last edited:

Taloniilm

Sir, you never cease to amaze me... Your auto installs are always top notch and this little set up is way cool... thanks for taking time to share it with us

N1GTL

Database Admin
Why can't you match the correct line out jack on a scanner with the Cardo BTA and plug the Cardo BTA right into the scanner? It does not seem like the Radio Shack device is needed.

Uplink

N1GTL said:
Why can't you match the correct line out jack on a scanner with the Cardo BTA and plug the Cardo BTA right into the scanner? It does not seem like the Radio Shack device is needed.

The Cardo and bluetooth works only at close range, as soon as you walk out of the room, you would loose the signal.

EC-7

I use a Cardo Scala-500 Bluetooth headset wired to my scanner for audio. I work in a cell phone store, so having a bluetooth headset on is normal there.

I park right in front of the store, and I get good reception from my scanner in the car, to the headset inside. It makes it small, descrete, and the scanner gets horrible reception inside, so having it outside on a mobile antenna works great.

You need to wire up an audio adaptor, for the plug size and the 2 pin to 3 pin wiring, but its simple.

EC-7 said:
You need to wire up an audio adaptor, for the plug size and the 2 pin to 3 pin wiring, but its simple.
Interesting. Can you elaborate on how to do this (or how you did this)?

Status
Not open for further replies.