Radio Tower Location Maps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndyEmsGuy

I was wondering if there is any place to find out information about radio towers. I always see several out driving around and wondered if there is a resource somewhere that you could find out who owns it, what it is for, what it broadcasts, and maybe even what frequencies. Anyone ever heard or seen anything like this?

bdub5

That one guy...
Premium Subscriber
Can't say that I have....

I know what some of the towers around town are for but haven't seen any resource showing what every tower is for.

I mostly know that TV station towers, amateur radio towers, etc but not every tower.

Brent

Big_Ears

Antenna towers over a certain height are shown on the AirNav navigational maps. These are the navigational maps that contain Restriced Areas for both civillan and commercial aircraft. I believe the MSL is noted and any beacon information.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
go out to a small airport near you and find the fixed base operator. ask him if he has an old sectional map for your area and he will probably give it to you. If he probably has up date for sale. All of the towers will be shown.

Boomeranger

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
IndyEmsGuy said:
I was wondering if there is any place to find out information about radio towers. I always see several out driving around and wondered if there is a resource somewhere that you could find out who owns it, what it is for, what it broadcasts, and maybe even what frequencies. Anyone ever heard or seen anything like this?

Visit: http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchAdvanced.jsp

Select a state and a city and or zip from those pop-down lists.

Next, below, check "Active" for License status.

Next selected a date range.

Next select 100 results per page.

Next select search.

The resulting page will list licenses. Pick one. It will take you to a detail page for the license. Up near the top is a link, "map license" click it and you can see all the antennas for that license. You can also show streets, street names, county boundries, range, zoom in or out to get a clearer picture of the area.

Definitely takes practice.

Andy

iamhere300

n4voxgill said:
go out to a small airport near you and find the fixed base operator. ask him if he has an old sectional map for your area and he will probably give it to you. If he probably has up date for sale. All of the towers will be shown.

Only towers registered with the FAA will be shown.

The best source I have found (And what do I know, I only own towers)
is www.antennasearch.com

Not only does that pickup on FCC registered towers, it also shows FAA
clearance applications, and tower that were cleared for FAA but not
registered with the FCC.

It also shows radio licenses, which can be a lot of the shorter unregistered
towers.

officer58

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I am using Antennasearch.com, great site. I have plugged in all the frequencies I could find on the antennas that are used, so lets see what happens.

Thanks for all the info

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

nd5y

All joking aside, Antennasearch.com is a fun site, and a huge help to any scanner user.
It's not that good because as far as I can tell it shows everything that was ever licensed in the ULS database and doesn't show which ones are current and which ones are expired/terminated/cancelled. Some licenses expired or were cancelled decades ago and it still shows them.

nd5y

If you have Google Earth you can view the FCC Antenna Structure Registration database and commercial broadcast stations with
FCCInfo - Now on Google Earth!

It doesn't show all towers because not all towers are required to be registered in the ASR.
It only shows frequencies for commercial broadcast stations and broadcast microwave stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.