Help comparing a few scanner models.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smerri

[Is this the right forum for this thread?]

Well, I have my Radio Shack Pro-82 scanner right now, and have had it for a while, and am looking to upgrade to something nicer (and also a base scanner).

I am looking to spend in the $200.00 range, and am looking into Uniden's BCT 15, GRE PSR-400, and the Radio Shack Pro-2055. My father has the Radio Shack Pro-2055 which I do like, but would like to check out the other options. (I am looking on www.scannermaster.com because from what I have read, that is the place to buy). Also, from programming my father's, I love being able to use WIN97 (The computer) to program so I am hoping these do (it looks like the Uniden does, and I presume the GRE does). (Also, do the WINxx Programs work with these scanners, or is there another program I would need to purchase that works with the Uniden or the GRE)?

Uniden Bearcat BCT15

GRE PSR-400

Radio Shack Pro-2055

At first, I was figuring the Uniden but the GRE did catch my eye, and was wondering if I could get info on that. I know there are reviews out there, but in comparison of these scanners (mainly between the Uniden and the GRE), I was hoping to get some feedback from people who have one or both, and which you would recommend to buy (assuming I do have this scanner for awhile).

Also, will this USB Cable work with the Uniden or the GRE?

Thanks for any and all help provided.

-Sean

Last edited:

n2mdk

The PSR-400 and The Pro-2055 are very closely related, figure the 400 is a 2055 mkII.
The Radio Shack cable will work with the GRE scanners, The 2055 is made by GRE for Radio Shack. Don Starr is working on an update of Win97 that will work with the PSR-300/400.
The Unidens come with a serial cable to program the scanners, if your computer doesn't have a serial connector a USB to serial adapter cable will work.
The GREs are very nice scanners but they are sort of old school, the BCT15 is a sort of generation 2 scanner with a much better memory management system http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/DMA
ARC15 from BuTel is good software for the Uniden
The BCT15 will hold 250 TGIDs per sysyem, where the GREs hold 150 per bank. It will also do EDACS Narrow where the 2055 and 400 won't.
You will get about as many different opinions about the 2 as you will get answers. Look at the features and make your mind that way.
If I was going to buy a new base right now, I would go with the BCT15 because of the DMA memory and the extra TGIDs

madnachos

I agree with n2mdk....the BCT15 is a real workhorse of a scanner. Lots of features, easy to configure, and it really shines when used with Butels software. The $215 I spent for my BCT15 is easily the best bang for the buck I have ever had on a scanner purchase.

Gooser

Yeah, what all of the above said.

I was gonna get a Pro-2055 (cuz I like my HH version of it, the Pro-97).
But thought I'd get the Uniden after reading up...DMA and temp L/O were factors for me. Plus the ergonomics of the squelch and volume dials compared to the stacked RS gizmo.
I am very happy with the BCT15. DMA is THE BOMB. In fact, I have it's sibling, BC246T on a UPS truck heading my way.

Having said all that, I will probably still get a Pro-2055 if they ever go on sale again...and I'd check the date code for a 09a07 date code or later (display issue).
Ya can never have too many scanners/antennas. But at the current price for the Pro-2055, for just a few more pesos, I got the BCT15.

Last edited:

madnachos

Gooser said:
Yeah, what all of the above said.

DMA is THE BOMB.
Indeed.

I dig my Pro97 and would pick up a 2055 at the right price...but it would need to be pretty cheap since the BCT15 is around $200 these days....very impressive unit for the $$. All the buttons and knobs on it have a good feel to them, its a nice scanner.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hi Smerri and welcome

You asked in a previous message of this thread about software - all the programs known to be compatible with the BCT15 are listed here...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCT15

Now this scanner doesn't use banks as you may have known them in the past - there are now 'systems' and 'groups'. In addition, if you've never programmed a trunking scanner in the past, you will need to become familiar with the terminology and basics.

We have an article in the Wiki which will get you started. Note that anything in blue is a link - and as you will see, we have links to our Trunking article (be sure to read the basics first) and, perhaps more important, to the 'easier to read' manual for the BCT15 (which you should bookmark). Take your time as there are a lot of new concepts for you...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Uniden_DMA_FAQ

Remember we have a 'trunking' forum for questions about concepts, a 'uniden' forum for questions about Uniden scanners and state-by-state dedicated forums. Be sure to post your question in the correct forum for the correct topic.

73s and GL...Mike

Gooser

Smerri said:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I picked up the BCT15 on Scanner Master. Can't wait for it to come.
Hey Smerri...
Cool beans. Please report back and let us know what you think after you play with it a bit.
And, BTW, the software for your PC to the BCT15 ( I use BuTel ARC15) will save your hair/marriage/dog.

Last edited:

hoser147

Even if for some odd reason you wouldnt like the scanner, they sell like hotcakes, usually gone as fast as they are posted. But I think you will like it................Hoser

Smerri

ka3jjz said:
Hi Smerri and welcome

You asked in a previous message of this thread about software - all the programs known to be compatible with the BCT15 are listed here...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/BCT15

Now this scanner doesn't use banks as you may have known them in the past - there are now 'systems' and 'groups'. In addition, if you've never programmed a trunking scanner in the past, you will need to become familiar with the terminology and basics.

We have an article in the Wiki which will get you started. Note that anything in blue is a link - and as you will see, we have links to our Trunking article (be sure to read the basics first) and, perhaps more important, to the 'easier to read' manual for the BCT15 (which you should bookmark). Take your time as there are a lot of new concepts for you...

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Uniden_DMA_FAQ

Remember we have a 'trunking' forum for questions about concepts, a 'uniden' forum for questions about Uniden scanners and state-by-state dedicated forums. Be sure to post your question in the correct forum for the correct topic.

73s and GL...Mike
This will definitely be a little step-up from my Pro-82 but I am looking forward to toying around with the new scanner and seeing the capabilities it has. Thanks a lot for the wiki references and the help.

Smerri

Gooser said:
Hey Smerri...
Cool beans. Please report back and let us know what you think after you play with it a bit.
And, BTW, the software for your PC to the BCT15 ( I use BuTel ARC15) will save your hair/marriage/dog.
Yeah the order was placed last night on Scanner Master so hopefully by this weekend I will have it (maybe I am being a bit optimistic).

I will definitely report back and let you know how I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.