Newbie with out a scanner again!! please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I have now for the second time returned my scanner to Uniden in Texas. I was given a BCT8 as a Christmas gift and it was a refurbished model. It was accepted back and I was promised a Brand New BCT8 like was originally ordered for me. Well surprise, surprise I again get sent a refurbished model. My father, the purchaser of the scanner decided to get his money back because they told him the would have to do an "inventory check" and didn't know how long it would be before it finally received what he ordered over 2 months ago!! So I am coming to all of you now saying I am just starting out, love listening to scanning but don't have a lot of money to put into it at this time... Does anyone have any suggestions on what to get and from where?

Again Please help and Thank you all!!

n211cr

What exactly are your interests in monitoring? I would have to assume the city of Pittsburg which would require a Trunking capable scanner but being a Motorola Type II, it would not necessarily mean the newest out there. There are many options available. Are you looking for a base or a handheld unit?

N8IAA

FFextinguisher said:
Hello All,

I have now for the second time returned my scanner to Uniden in Texas. I was given a BCT8 as a Christmas gift and it was a refurbished model. It was accepted back and I was promised a Brand New BCT8 like was originally ordered for me. Well surprise, surprise I again get sent a refurbished model. My father, the purchaser of the scanner decided to get his money back because they told him the would have to do an "inventory check" and didn't know how long it would be before it finally received what he ordered over 2 months ago!! So I am coming to all of you now saying I am just starting out, love listening to scanning but don't have a lot of money to put into it at this time... Does anyone have any suggestions on what to get and from where?

Again Please help and Thank you all!!

Since the county and state are OpenSky, which can't be monitored by any tt scanner, and the county is conventional, the BC15 or the new PSR300(banks instead of dynamic memory--easier to program and operate with a minimum of button pushing) are about the same price. It comes down to personal preference. Being a newbie, I would go with the scanner with the banks. Software is cheaper too. Not saying I won't be buying a 15 very soon to use for conventional and milair monitoring. But, I've been doing this for 37+ years;))
Larry

n2mdk

If they want a base/mobile the PSR-400 would be the way to go. As of yet Win97 hasn't been updated to work with the new PSR-300/400 scanners. So no programming software is yet avaiable for them.

n211cr said:
What exactly are your interests in monitoring? I would have to assume the city of Pittsburgh which would require a Trunking capable scanner but being a Motorola Type II, it would not necessarily mean the newest out there. There are many options available. Are you looking for a base or a handheld unit?

Well I guess you could say my interests are the common ones. At this point all I know is the norm Police, Fire and EMS. I have an old Bearcat that was given to me but I don't think I ever understood how to use it properly. And now with all of the new options on these scanners I am even more confused. The one thing I am sure of is I do want a base model. I am beginning to understand the trunking capabilities but what does the Motorola Type II have to do with this all??

n2mdk

FFextinguisher said:
Well I guess you could say my interests are the common ones. At this point all I know is the norm Police, Fire and EMS. I have an old Bearcat that was given to me but I don't think I ever understood how to use it properly. And now with all of the new options on these scanners I am even more confused. The one thing I am sure of is I do want a base model. I am beginning to understand the trunking capabilities but what does the Motorola Type II have to do with this all??

Motorola Type II is a type of trunking http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Motorola_Type_II

Trunking Types http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking

Trunking basics http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Trunking_Basics

Status
Not open for further replies.