Garbage picking

Status
Not open for further replies.

godskidz

Hello to all.
Does anybody ever go scavaging or garbage picking? If not you should.
This evening my wife and I went as usual and sitting on a box of junk were (notice I said were) Two pro-2021 scanners.
They were nasty looking with sticky gook on them.
I cleaned one up and it works except no backlight.
The other has no power when I turn it on.
I can probably swap parts to get a totally good one
God is great isn't he?
GOD BLESS

mciupa

Good eyes godskidz :)

Looks like you are going to have to add " Pro-2021 Mix 'n Match" to your My Toys signature. :D

DonS

Please don't do it at my house.

My biggest gripe with the trash pickers is the people who come along weekly (trash day) and steal cans/bottles out of my "recycle bin". The bin is sitting on my property - not on the street.

Even worse than the "normal scumbag thieves", I often get the "messy scumbag thieves" - those who dump the bin onto my lawn, take what they want, and leave the rest on the grass.

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
DonS said:

My biggest gripe with the trash pickers is the people who come along weekly (trash day) and steal cans/bottles out of my "recycle bin". The bin is sitting on my property - not on the street.

Even worse than the "normal scumbag thieves", I often get the "messy scumbag thieves" - those who dump the bin onto my lawn, take what they want, and leave the rest on the grass.

You can always cut cans in pieces and put them in the trash.

DonS

N467RX said:
You can always cut cans in pieces and put them in the trash.
If I'm going to spend the time/effort to cut cans into pieces, I'd almost rather leave them in the recycle bin, and let the thieves cut their fingers to ribbons. While I'm at it, I'll break up the bottles.

However, I live in California, and our courts would probably let the thief sue me for his self-inflicted wounds.

freqs

godskidz said:
Hello to all.
Does anybody ever go scavaging or garbage picking? If not you should.
This evening my wife and I went as usual and sitting on a box of junk were (notice I said were) Two pro-2021 scanners.
They were nasty looking with sticky gook on them.
I cleaned one up and it works except no backlight.
The other has no power when I turn it on.
I can probably swap parts to get a totally good one
God is great isn't he?
GOD BLESS
nice find iam a g-man by trade ihave over the yrs found around 5 scanners uniden 810 a old crystal regency a rat shack 2 way but by far best thing i have found to date is my zenith trans oceanic 1955 model and a 1933 old am short wave and around 10 cb radios base and mobile and i get paid to garbage pick

brian13pickle

I use to work with guys who would and still do go to the landfill with a dump truck full of debris. They usually return with a dump truck with a bigger load of found junk. Bicycles, motrcycles,lawn equipment, radios, power tools, ect........ Whenever I need something all I have to do is to stop by and see them and they will either give it to me or will lookout for it on their next trip to the landfill or a dumpster . Note: I work for a local govermnent school system, and we don't make great money,so we learn to make do with what we have, by fixing or repairing items. Funny, we've been recycling for years even before it was popular in our area.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
DonS said:

They're looking for your source code! :p

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
When I was a kid I used to go dumpster diving at my local Michigan Bell Telephone switching station. Back in the 60's it wasn't illegal. I got to know some of the guys there and they used to set things aside for me. Spools of wire that were near the end, but still had plenty for my needs. Big batteries taken out of service for routine maintenance, but still good. Relays, terminal strips, indicator lights, old phone parts, you name it. It was a hobbyist gold mine! :)

MaxMan1986

DonS, you could just solve that problem by bringing the bottles to a redemption center and getting your 5 cents back. May not be a lot of money but it adds up.

You do bring up a good point though. I've done some occasional garbage picking myself, but when I see people picking through my garbage, I feel almost as if they're rummaging through my personal belongings. I'm not really sure why, as it's only garbage, but it's still weird to see someone in front of my house looking through it.

Ch1ronTL34

I picked up a perfectly good mag mount CB antenna while walking down the alleyways of Chicago

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
God doesn't hand out junk covered with sticky goo but people do throw out garbage. It has been said one man's junk is another man's gold, a wise man knows the difference between junk and garbage. If it's clean, in good condition and I have a need for it I'll give it a home, years of Dumpseter diving has made me wise so I leave the garbage for the truck.

Technical note; Dumpster is a registered trademark of the Dempsey Corporation but within a decade "Dumpster" became a household name like Hoover and Frigidaire. Just thought the kids would like to know the origin of the Dempsey Dumpster.

Fulminator, you are WEIRD! (;->)

crashcrew

Premium Subscriber
kb2vxa said:
Technical note; Dumpster is a registered trademark of the Dempsey Corporation but within a decade "Dumpster" became a household name like Hoover and Frigidaire. Just thought the kids would like to know the origin of the Dempsey Dumpster.

.....and Band-Aid is a registered trademark of Johnson & Johnson for their adhesive bandages used to cover small wounds. However, much of the consuming public in the United States, India, Canada, Brazil and Australia uses the term band-aid generically, to refer to any such adhesive bandages.

Just thought the kids would like some more interesting facts :lol:

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
I am not above it. If I am driving through my own, or a friends neighborhood, and it is "large household refuse" day the next morning, and I see a treasure, I'm gonna toss it in my trunk, and decide later if its worth even bringing in the house. If not, it goes on my curb. However, if I ever saw someone "rummaging" through my normal trash, (not when we have the special days to toss everything from monitors to dishwashers), I'm probably going to at the minimum, hit the floodlights, open the garage door and remote start the car, go walk the dog, or call the cops. What they are doing is not illiegal, even if it is still on your private property if it is clearly left for collection on the curb. (I think the term is curtiladge?) but, I still dont want someone rifling through my junkmail, old lotto tickets, cereal boxes, and whatever else I tossed. If I packaged it up for garbage, it is packaged up as garbage for a reason, for both my own, and your safety/health. If I leave a burnt out 19" tv set from 1983 on the curb, its yours if you want it.

In college, I worked for CompUSA and I used to nail the dumpster for all sorts of frankenstien-computer fun. I was able to assemble over the years 4-5 fully functional computers for myself and friends. I also still am the cpu-hero for having all the wierd spare parts like random SCSI cables or ISDF cables kicking around in one of my two "'puter parts bins." Other people would use our dumpster for dumping too! I didnt want what they left tho.

Last edited:

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
I don't make a habit out of dumpster diving, but I have been known to grab some perfectly good stuff out of the trash if I happen to notice it. I do however, take full advantage of things on the side of the road with a "FREE" sign on them. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.