Activity Above 1.0g hz???

Status
Not open for further replies.

amham

I need to test an IC-8500 converter board and need a suggestion of an active frequency above about 1.025 ghz to listen to in the NYC metro area. Anyone know of a freq. to monitor that covers a wide area? Thanks

Last edited:

masonb

Over 1Ghz hey.... highest i know is only 900Mhz range.
Who would use over 1Ghz anyways?

ryangassxx

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hey good question,... I know there's an amateur band in like 1.2Ghz or something like that, but what IS above 1 Ghz? I never really hear anything up there... Never heard a peep on that amateur band either..

amham

For starters, the Amateur radio band 1296 mhz has some activity in many parts of the country, just not much around NYC.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Try looking between about 1275 and 1300 MHz. In the larger metropolitan areas, there is usually some FM repeater activity. You can find some SSB activity on 1296.1, probably mostly on weekends and in the evenings.

There is actually quite a bit of ham activity on 2304, and even higher bands, but most of that occurs during contests, and unless you have good antenna and an even better preamp you won't hear it.

mciupa

amham said:
For starters, the Amateur radio band 1296 mhz has some activity in many parts of the country, just not much around NYC.

I wonder why ? Could it be the water cooled transmitters ?
Would you want water near your electronic gear ?

Rover

Check out the book :

Wireless Spectrum FInder by Bennett Kobb

It lists Telecom, Goverment, and Scientific Allocations in the US from 30 mhz - 300Ghz

Pages 170 to 400 are 1 ghz and over. It looks like mostly data, navigation and sats are in that range. Ckeck out the book on Amazon.com , found mine for about 10$ used.

73...Ray KB4OMO

fineshot1

amham said:
I need to test an IC-8500 converter board and need a suggestion of an active frequency above about 1.025 ghz to listen to in the NYC metro area. Anyone know of a freq. to monitor that covers a wide area? Thanks

Check the Amateur Radio Repeater Coordination Council web sites below for any
1.2ghz repeaters in your area. Some may be Analog FM or DStar Digital.

http://www.arcc-inc.org/

http://www.metrocor.net/

Good luck and post back on your progress as I'm sure others would be interested.

fineshot1

Status
Not open for further replies.