Scanners for "mixed mode (analog & digital)" trunking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond_D

I'm a Durham, NC resident and I have a Yaesu FT-60, which I use mainly for monitoring Railroad communications, and I plan on getting my Tech license in the near future so it will be useful for transmitting as well.

I've recently become interested in monitoring local PD/FD comms though, and I see that my local PD uses "a 4 site Smartzone 4.1 mixed mode (analog & digital) system". Info from the database is:

System Name: Durham Public Safety
County: Durham
System Type: Motorola Type II Smartnet
System Voice: Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface

Basically, I want to know if I am correct that an analog trunking scanner like the Pro-97 will NOT be effective in monitoring that system. It seems like I would need to step up to a Pro-96, or Uniden BC296D, etc. Do I have that right?

Who has strong preferences toward one of those models versus the other? Any other good suggestions for a digital trunking scanner that will last me a while? Thanks in advance!

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Yes, you'll need a digital scanner.

Aside from that, any digital scanner will do. Things to keep in mind when purchasing a digital scanner though:

1. Will you be listening to any systems that are part of the rebanding effort? If so, will the scanner handle rebanding or will it be useless to monitor your systems afterwards. I don't keep up on rebanding stuff - so quite possibly there are no affected systems in your area.

2. Will you be wanting to monitor 700hz public safety in the future? If so, then you'll want to make sure the scanner will handle that. If not, you have a wider range of digital scanner choices.

Check out THIS link for info on the RR Wiki regarding rebanding - If you scroll down further in that link you'll see the scanners that are not expected to handle rebanding.

Theoretically, you have a lot of scanners to pick from as far as monitoring digital. Look at paying anywhere from about $250 to $500 for a digital scanner, depending on if it's bought new or used, whether you can get a deal on it, and whether it is the most recent generation of digital scanner or not.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.