scanning for ham radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerguy50

i hope this is the right place for this question.
i know you can pic up ham operators on your scanners.
but just wondering if you can pick up cb radio transmissions?and if so,which freq.

CAPTLPOL1

Your scanner must be able to pick up the 27 MHz range. It must also be able to pick signals in the AM mode. What type of scanner do you have? Also you should be aware that you will need a good antenna outdoors to pick up anything in this range unless you are right next to a CB rig. Forget using a rubber duckie for receving CB on a scanner.

kc4jgc

You didn't say what is your make/model of your scanner.

Is your scanner capable of recieving 26.965-27.405 in AM? If so yes. BUT.... that rubber resistor that came with your handheld (or small telescopic that came with your base/mobile unit) is hardly adaquate to recieve anything more than a few blocks away, if that. An outdoor antenna is essential. Even at that, most scanner antennae are not optimized for high hf spectrum. You'll be able to hear "chicken banders" up to a few miles away. At least you'll be able to hear further out than the stock antenna. You'll do best with an outdoor CB antenna. The downside to this is that when you want to monitor vhf/uhf/800MHz, you'll either have reduced sensitivity or an overloaded reciever when near towers and urban areas.

ryangassxx

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
CAPTLPOL1 said:
Your scanner must be able to pick up the 27 MHz range. It must also be able to pick signals in the AM mode. What type of scanner do you have? Also you should be aware that you will need a good antenna outdoors to pick up anything in this range unless you are right next to a CB rig. Forget using a rubber duckie for receving CB on a scanner.

I wouldn't go that far,.. I can usually pick up strong transmissions on my scanner with a duckie.. And i would imagine that you could probably do alright with one on the interstate being so close to the operators in the trucks...

It's not an ideal setup though, thats for sure.. I think you could probably do a lot better by getting that radio shack telescopic antenna and extending it all the way out, but that's a pretty cumbersome setup with a 4 foot antenna coming from the top of your scanner.. An external antenna is definitely a good suggestion..

Status
Not open for further replies.