Newbie needs help, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Consigliere2u

Hello I just purchased a Radio Shack Pro-96 and I am totally overwhelmed. Will anyone, at their leisure, help me get this going? I have no idea of how to program it. I have Don's Win96 Software and I was told to register on here, but I cannot get any further. Any and all advice and assistance would be appreciated greatly!

I would like to listen to just about everything, Police and Fire, Aircraft, and whatever else my scanner can pickup. I live in the Bay Area of Northern California (Concord-Clayton). I travel to Arizona (Chandler, Scottsdale, Queen Creek) Connecticut (New Haven), Vegas and Southern California (LA, Palmdale, Beverly Hills, SF Valley)

Thanks so much for your time and for reading my post.
I can be emailed Consigliere2u@yahoo.com

LEH

Premium Subscriber
First off welcome to RR. You'll find most of you answers here, as it is the best site for scanner info around.

I'll take a stab at answering this, but I'll also pass on some additional places on the site to check. First is to do a quick search of the Radio Shack scanner forum (further down the forums page). It is dedicated to Radio Shack specific scanners and this question has been asked there more than once. :D Next is the scanner software forum, look for Don Starr's sticky. Lastly, there is a fairly good bit of info (simplified even) in the Wiki.

Okay, you have the scanner and the interface cable.
1. Make sure you've installed the cable drivers or you may have problems.
2. Connect the scanner to the computer and make sure Don's software can read the scanner memory. More simply, make sure the software is set to the correct computer com port. You can find the com port number in the device manager.
3. Once you've ensured connectivity, I'd download and save the current scaner memory.
4. In the software there is a menu choice to download data from the data base. Select it and follow the directions.
5. Edit the download in the software (it downloads EVERYTHING for the selected system) to get what you want.
6. Save the edited file.
7. Upload to the scanner.

Good luck and happy scanning.

SCPD

QRT
I sent you a message via the email address your posted. Let me know if my offer meets your needs in any way.

Edit: to send a PM, click onto my user name ("Exsmokey"), and then click onto the item that states something like "send a PM to Exsmokey."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.