Questions comparing GRE-300 vs. Pro-97

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smerri

First I want to ask and make sure this is the correct forum to post threads comparing/talking about two different scanner models (not speciffically Uniden or GRE or Radio Shack). If there is a different forum this should go in, please direct me that way.

I have a few questions comparing the GRE-300 vs. the Pro-97. The first is on rebanding. I am still not positive on the Pro-97. I know the Wiki says no it isn't, but if you were to go to Radio Shack today, and buy a new scanner, would it be updated to support rebanding or is it still not doing that, and basically the same scanner of '05 when it was released.

Another question I have is about the P25 digitital stuff as it pertains to the 700 mHz bands. Do/Will the $200 scanners support this (Pro-97, Gre-300, Pro-2055, BCT15) or is this only available on the higher end scanners (say in the $500 range).

Also, just as an open-ended third question, if you were to buy a new scanner out of the two, would you pick up a GRE-300 or Pro-97 and why? I don't think I am in the market for a new handheld because I just grabbed one the other day, but who knows (I may decide to pick one up tomorrow or next week), and I am interested to hear what some of you guys have to say.

Just trying to bolster my knowledge and learn some things to put some loose ends together on questions I had.

Since it's early morning, enjoy your Thursday, only one more until the weekend.

mikey60

Smerri said:
I have a few questions comparing the GRE-300 vs. the Pro-97. The first is on rebanding. I am still not positive on the Pro-97. I know the Wiki says no it isn't, but if you were to go to Radio Shack today, and buy a new scanner, would it be updated to support rebanding or is it still not doing that, and basically the same scanner of '05 when it was released.

The Pro-97 is not rebanding compatible as far as I know, at least not without sending it in for a firmware update, assuming such an update would even be made available. The GRE PSR-300 is user upgradable as far as firmware is concerned and should therefore be rebanding ready once the new tables have been worked out.

Smerri said:
Another question I have is about the P25 digitital stuff as it pertains to the 700 mHz bands. Do/Will the $200 scanners support this (Pro-97, Gre-300, Pro-2055, BCT15) or is this only available on the higher end scanners (say in the $500 range).

You would need a digital capable scanner to hear anything that is P25 encoded. The PSR-300 can do 700MHz, but since almost all of the activity in that band will be digital, it doesn't gain you a lot.

Smerri said:
Also, just as an open-ended third question, if you were to buy a new scanner out of the two, would you pick up a GRE-300 or Pro-97 and why? I don't think I am in the market for a new handheld because I just grabbed one the other day, but who knows (I may decide to pick one up tomorrow or next week), and I am interested to hear what some of you guys have to say.

At this point, I would suggest that PSR-300 or the Radio Shack version of it over the Pro-97. Rebanding ability would be the #1 reason in my mind. There are also reports that the PSR-300 has a more sensitive receiver than the Pro-97, so that would be another plus.

Mike

pogbobo

think of the psr300 as an updated pro97 ... its almost the same, it just has some new features and is rebanding friendly ... and the only way you are going to do anything digital is with the $500 scanners ... good luck :)

fredclausen

The Pro-97, as far as I know, is not rebanding supported. Who knows if RS will update this; I'm doubtful they will.

There are only a handful of scanners capable of doing P25, and they all go in the 400+ range if you shop carefully.

And lastly, while entirely subjective, I think you'd be hard pressed to go wrong with either a Pro 97 or a PSR-300. I have owned a Pro 97 for a while and love it. That said, the 300 is a newer scanner with a few more gee whiz features, and if you can find one at the same price as a Pro 97, I'd probably recommend getting that over the Po 97.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Deciding which scanner to buy depends on a few things. If the area you want to monitor is still analog and expected to stay that way for let's say 2 years, I'd find a cheap PRO-97 and save a few bucks. But if you need any features NOW that the PRO-97 does not have, I suggest leapfrogging all other analog scanenrs and just getting a new GRE digital scanner. My thinking is that the digital scanners will still get better, and if you don't NEED those functions, spend as little as you can now and save up to buy the 'best' later.

Status
Not open for further replies.