Purchase recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjt

I am new to trunking scanners. I would like to purchase a portable trunking scanner that has the most features and will be upgradable via firmware to handle the latest and greatest.

I am looking at the BCD-396T, but am not sure if that is the "best" solution.

I am very proficient with computer software, so any recomendation of a great scanner/softare combination would be great.

Thanks for helping out a newcomer to this great hobby. :)

jjt

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
There is no real answer as to what the "best" scanner is. Different people will give you different answers.

I would highly recommend the Uniden 396. It is an excellent scanner, I have one and love it. I am sure other people will recommend Radio Shack or GRE models.

Read through posts in the Uniden, Radio Shack, and GRE forums here on RR. You will find many posts about what people like and dislike about different scanner models.

Attackron

jjt said:
I am new to trunking scanners. I would like to purchase a portable trunking scanner that has the most features and will be upgradable via firmware to handle the latest and greatest.

I am looking at the BCD-396T, but am not sure if that is the "best" solution.

I am very proficient with computer software, so any recomendation of a great scanner/softare combination would be great.

Thanks for helping out a newcomer to this great hobby. :)

jjt

I think the best mobile and software combo is the uniden 369t and the Bultel 396 pro software as i just purchased both and very happy to have done so.

Ch1ronTL34

Attackron said:
I think the best mobile and software combo is the uniden 369t and the Bultel 396 pro software as i just purchased both and very happy to have done so.

Just in case he gets confused searching for the software, it's spelled Butel, and it's called ARC396 (Basic or Pro)

mjthomas59

The 396/996 would be my first choice. I have a pro-96 and while i love it, i really prefer the memory that the 396 offers. The dynamic memory is absolutely awesome, and i must say that once you have it, its tough to live without.

Butel also makes excellent software which i have for almost every scanner i own. It is much more refined than most i've seen, and is very user friendly. Even when i knew almost nothing about this hobby i was still able to program my scanner with no problems. I'm not sure what the difference is between the Pro and Basic versions, but i'm sure the Butel website can explain all that.

Another great feature about the Uniden line is the remote head that can be purchased seperately. My only complaint is the SMA connector on the 396, and the only reason i complain about it is because all my other handheld antennas are BNC so i can't just switch them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.