another noob question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrittmartin

pardon my ignorance again, but i am very new to all this...

am i correct in the understanding that there are 3 classes of radio devices? scanners, radio transceivers, and scanner/radio transceiver combinations?

i'm looking for a device for purposes listed in a previous thread, but i'm now considering buying a combo device so that i could have transceiving capabilities too.

previous thread: http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96098

am i correct in assuming that one of these combination devices would fit all my needs?

again, thanks in advance for advice.

jbrittmartin

n4voxgill said:
just take a few simple words and say what it is you want to do!

i want to find a reasonably priced (new or used on ebay), reasonably small (easy to carry into a concert) handheld scanner/radio transceiver which will allow me to listen to IEM frequencies and also allow me to have normal handheld radio transceiving capabilities.

SCPD

QRT
Sorry but no such device exists....
You can get a scanner or a hand held two way radio with extra RX channels but these don't cover the same wide range of frequencies as what a scanner does....

Paul

jbrittmartin

tanger32au said:
You can get a scanner or a hand held two way radio with extra RX channels but these don't cover the same wide range of frequencies as what a scanner does....

Paul

thanks for the info. so i now know i'm looking for just a scanner capable of scanning wide range frequencies.

DickH

jbrittmartin said:
i want to find a reasonably priced (new or used on ebay), reasonably small (easy to carry into a concert) handheld scanner/radio transceiver which will allow me to listen to IEM frequencies and also allow me to have normal handheld radio transceiving capabilities.

Bear in mind it is a violation of Federal law to:
1) Repeat what you hear on the radio to a third party.
2) Use any information you hear for your own personal gain.

n2mdk

tanger32au said:

Paul

Not really, there are lots of HAM band HTs that cover the frequency range that a scanner does and them some. Something like the VX-3R should http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ht/3003.html
I guess it depends upon what frequencies your looking for the transceiver to transmit on.

n2mdk

Of course you know to use it to transmit you will need to get an Amateur license.

DickH

n2mdk said:
Of course you know to use it to transmit you will need to get an Amateur license.

License? I thought you only needed one of those to drive a car. :)

n2mdk

tanger32au said:
Yes I know that and I am a HAM myself, but he was talking about commercial two way frequencies????

Actually he didn't mention any frequencies he was talking about a transceiver and also listening to the frequencies used my the 'In Ear Monitors/IEM" used at concerts. Nothing at all was said about commercial two way anything other than the term normal, whatever that is. It's all a matter of semantics and the OP being somewhat vague.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.