BC246t or Pro-164????

Status
Not open for further replies.

txscan

Can someone give me a opinion on which radio they would get and why? between the bc246t and pro-164??

Thanks

KE5BCP

Analog Man
txscan said:
Can someone give me a opinion on which radio they would get and why? between the bc246t and pro-164??

Thanks
It depends on which is more important to you as the user...
If you want mil-air, go with the Pro-164.
If you want dynamic memory, go with the BC246T.

n2mdk

I don't own a Pro-164 but have a Pro-97 so I'll base my posting on that. I like both radios, the memory system on the BC246T is much more versatile, better management and easier to control and select exactly what you want to listen to. The 246 is also much smaller, lighter and only uses 2 batteries. It also comes with an AC Adapter and a serial programming cable. The PRS-300 also comes with the adapter.
Now the main difference in performance, the BC246T can be somewhat deaf compared to the GRE made scanners, if your close to the sources you want to listen to, or aren't going to rely on rubber duck antennas I would vote for the BC246T.

br0adband

As the proud owner of my second 246T, I'd tend to agree with what was just said. Uniden throws everything you need into the box: AC adapter, rechargeable batteries, antenna (duh), manual, etc etc.

The dynamic memory takes some getting used to if you're coming from a background of only having used "bank"-type memory structures, and if you can just be patient until you "get it," you'll come to realize there's nothing else like it in our hobby, and it's a welcome addition.

The 246T is missing the Pro-164's MilAir band (roughly 225-406 MHz, with 380 to 406 being using for some low-end UHF trunking systems nowadays, primarily military operations related). For the money, I'd buy a 246T over a Pro-97/Pro-164/PSR-300 every time, but that's just me.

Size was mentioned: the 246T is rather diminutive compared to the Pro-164/etc; uses less batteries as mentioned also. I prefer the size to most other scanners, even the 330/396 which share the same form-factor. Wouldn't mind getting another 330 at some time to get that MilAir coverage back - I live in Vegas and Nellis AFB is like 5 miles from me on the north side, McCarran (commercial airport) is 5 miles due south, so I'd be able to listen in on both (the 246T does commercial air, of course, already). I wish sometimes they'd thrown MilAir into the 246T and really, I have never been able to understand why it was left out (the 330 covers it, and a lot more, and is basically the same cost so I can't believe it was a price issue).

It all comes down to personal preference I believe. I think the features the 246T offer are worth the cost even for the slightly reduced coverage - no MilAir - and the dynamic memory more than makes up for it with ease of use and no wasted memories as is so common when trying to program systems into "bank"-type scanners of old.

But at this point, I'd say skip the 246T and do your best to locate a 330 if you can find one for roughly the same cost. They're disappearing from the market relatively fast now that they've been discontinued. Uniden had some refurb stock for a while but it's depleted now; a lot of RR members grabbed 'em for the ridiculously low price of $175 + shipping direct from Uniden, and I wish I could have grabbed one myself.

Good luck...

n2mdk

Here is one other thing to consider, I just looked at Johnson Co TX where you live. There are a number of LTR Trunked systems there. There is a bug in the Pro-164/PSR-300 that doesn't allow the radio to accept TGIDs being entered manually, you can only enter them by software or capture them as they show up on the scanner in Search/Open mode.

br0adband

n2mdk said:
Here is one other thing to consider, I just looked at Johnson Co TX where you live. There are a number of LTR Trunked systems there. There is a bug in the Pro-164/PSR-300 that doesn't allow the radio to accept TGIDs being entered manually, you can only enter them by software or capture them as they show up on the scanner in Search/Open mode.

And they still put these devices on the market with such a major booboo? That's very interesting to know... very interesting indeed.

sjcscanner

Premium Subscriber
br0adband said:
And they still put these devices on the market with such a major booboo? That's very interesting to know... very interesting indeed.

i agree, they really need to fix that.......

Status
Not open for further replies.