Reliable Scanner Retailers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guttapercha

Hi all,

I haven't purchased a scanner in about 10 years, but looks like I'll need to get one with P25 capability, given that I'll be moving to a heavy P25 area.

Given that P25 scanners ain't exactly cheap, who do I purchase from without getting hosed down the line if there is a malfunction with the unit?

Also - any rumors of new P25 radios coming out? Looks like some mfgs. are due for some new lines.

Thanks,

JD

freqs

n8uxf said:
Grove enterprises in nc
Never had a problem with them in 20yrs
i have bought 8 scanners from radio shack and had no problems and whats nice well worked for me they have a layaway

backingit

Premium Subscriber
I bought a 396t from Bearcat Warehouse. Something was wrong with the audio on the unit. They sent me a replacement right away.

N8DV

ScannerMaster. I purchased a Uniden BCD 996T they shipped the day I ordered it and received it in two days. So far, a reliable internet based company.

guttapercha

Great. I've always been able to do my monitoring on my ham and landmobile gear, which is of excellent quality. I have never been impressed with scanners for the general consumer market, but now I'm stuck because I'll need P25. Just want to buy from someone who will back-up a Uniden product.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I've never really heard of an unreliable scanner dealer. It's not like you're buying a car that will be serviced for years and years by the dealer. You pay for it, they ship it. The warranty if provided by the manufacture, not the dealer.

Junior08 said:
Scannermaster and The Ham Station are top notch, as is Amateur Electronics Supply.

www.scannermaster.com
www.hamstation.com
www.aesham.com

I think AES is a joke.... i go in the cleveland store and those guys are so rude! you ask them from help with something and they barely get out of their chairs... It might be different in orlando or miami or wherever the florida location is... but i dont think my purchases will come from that store again unless its somthing that i absolutly need.

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Tfitzmaurice89 said:
I think AES is a joke.... i go in the cleveland store and those guys are so rude! you ask them from help with something and they barely get out of their chairs... It might be different in orlando or miami or wherever the florida location is... but i dont think my purchases will come from that store again unless its somthing that i absolutly need.
Matt and Phil were quite friendly with me. Do you think it may be your attitude?

br0adband

At the AES location here in Vegas, I have to admit that the very first time I stopped in well over 1.5 years ago, I met a guy there that shared similar interests with me and we chatted for nearly an hour before I finally left. In all that time I was the only "customer" in the place, I only saw 3 other people, and none of them looked to be in good spirits for whatever reason.

I recently returned to pick up a Diamond antenna and unfortunately that person I spoke with in the past is no longer with them (on to bigger and better things, I hope), and the gentlemen that were in the business at the time - two sitting on stools at the front counter and one in the office to the side - didn't even flinch as I came in. I asked where the Diamond antennas are not once but twice before receiving only an outstretched arm with a finger pointing to the far back corner.

So, while they weren't outright rude, certainly I got the impression that they were dismissive to some degree. I found what I was looking for, took it to the counter, tried to make polite conversation about several things - the Scanner Book and when the next one would be coming out, if they still stocked the 330T, other antennas that might be good for handheld usage, etc - and the guy simply refused to get involved with my attempts.

I paid for the antenna, took the receipt, said thanks and left. I buy products from them because they're the only place in Vegas that carries such items - I haven't been over to the place in Henderson yet, maybe someday, Radio World I think is the name of the establishment - but if I can find another source here in town I would most definitely make the effort.

It's not that I don't like the place, or the people, it's that I didn't feel for a second that they gave a rat's ass about me being there at all. Definitely didn't feel welcome, definitely didn't feel appreciated at all, just "Hey, just what you see pal" kind of feelings. Doesn't bode well for a company or its employees to be that way, but what can you do.

Oh, I forgot: you can choose to do business with someone that does make you feel appreciated. Yeah... free markets... gotta love 'em. ;)

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Tfitzmaurice89 said:

My experience with AES has been via online purchases only. Had no problems during phone conversations regarding the transactions. They were very friendly.

scannersnstuff

unreliable scanner dealers

out of all the scanner dealer's i've dealt with,i like grove the best.the price's are not the lowest.great customer service.i absolutely will not deal with SCANNERWORLD.they are the absolute "SLUGS" of the radio buisness.i've had good experience's with scannermaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.