Analog Cellular - R.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fineshot1

Good, its about time - that spectrum that was occupied by the analog can now be used for more digital channels expanding the capacity of each carriers network.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
good! Not that there was anything on there anyways besides OnStar. Now the newbies can stop asking about monitoring 800mhz cellular.

PS FCC may we have the bandwith back to monitor now then? No blocking 867-930 or whatever it is?

My SC150 can monitor it, but still.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
DanTSX said:
good! Not that there was anything on there anyways besides OnStar.

There's quite a few alarm systems and bag phones still out there. Not enough to make it profitable to keep it on the air though.

DanTSX said:
Now the newbies can stop asking about monitoring 800mhz cellular.

Do you really think the newbies will stop asking? Doubtful.

DanTSX said:
PS FCC may we have the bandwith back to monitor now then? No blocking 867-930 or whatever it is?

So you can listen to the noise of the tdma/cdma digital??

D

DaveNF2G

It would not be up to the FCC anyway. You need to ask Congress to amend ECPA.

Fat chance.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
Mike_Oxlong said:
So you can listen to the noise of the tdma/cdma digital??

No but I can listen to any unencrypted communications put there in the future. The point that I'm making is that now that analog cell is dead, the FCC may use the former analog cell portion of the spectrum for something that I may want to monitor. If the law is still on the books that US sold scanners cannot have this portion of the spectrum enabled.

I hear enough mouth-breathers on their cell-phones everywhere I go, I dont need to spend any of my time playing nosey negihbor.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
DanTSX said:
The point that I'm making is that now that analog cell is dead, the FCC may use the former analog cell portion of the spectrum for something that I may want to monitor.

First of all, there isn't an analog portion. It's all cellular and the analog channels are generally mixed in with the digital channels.

The reason analog cellular is being shut down is to make room for other cellular technologies such as GSM, UMTS or CDMA.

The spectrum is licensed to the cellular carriers and they need the room to expand and/or rollout their newer technologies which require lots more bandwidth.

You're not going to find anything listenable to in the band.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
Mike_Oxlong said:
First of all, there isn't an analog portion. It's all cellular and the analog channels are generally mixed in with the digital channels.

The reason analog cellular is being shut down is to make room for other cellular technologies such as GSM, UMTS or CDMA.

The spectrum is licensed to the cellular carriers and they need the room to expand and/or rollout their newer technologies which require lots more bandwidth.

You're not going to find anything listenable to in the band.

fine, then let us have the full bandwith back if we cant hear anything.:roll:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
mciupa said:
Too late , it's spoken for.

I think he's referring to restoring the blocked portions of the band in our scanners/receivers. I agree. If nothing else, Icom could then restore the portions of the 800 MHz band that never needed to be blocked to begin with.

RodStrong

24 hours to go before I lose my trusty bag phone. I'm gonna miss it. I've also got a Verizon digital and a Sprint/Nextel hybrid, and the Verizon analog beats them hands down for all around coverage.

jakegday

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
57Bill said:
My analog TracFone was clearer, and louder to my hearing impaired ears than is my current digital version.

ya know ill have to agree with that, when my phone switches over to analog the volume is alot louder, and still just as easy to understand....

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
As noted in the article, not all analog cellular will go away. The significance of the date is that carriers are no longer required to support analog. Some carriers announced that they would turn the analog sites off immediately. Others have said that they will keep their analog networks up indefinitely.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
GreatLakes said:
I think he's referring to restoring the blocked portions of the band in our scanners/receivers. I agree. If nothing else, Icom could then restore the portions of the 800 MHz band that never needed to be blocked to begin with.

Yes, thank you:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.