Want new scanner...help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmjcmt

Hi...
I have a really old 200 channel Radio Shack scanner, about 15 years old. It doesn't do trunked systems. I have recently moved to Tucson, AZ, and I would like to get a new scanner, but I haven't a clue what to look for. It would not have to be super-dooper, just good enough for me to listen to sheriff, police, fire, border patrol mostly. Would not need any computer hook ups. I am not able to put up an outside antenna where I live but I do have some elevation and a hill about a mile away bristling with antennas.. don't know whose antennas but probably city or county.

I sure would appreciate it if someone could help this ole grandma out with some info.

Thanks, Ruth

P.S. I don't have a lot of money to spend either

Bentley

Hi Ruth...first off, welcome to Radio Reference!

I poked around a little bit in the frequency database for Pima County I found some digital frequencies, but being that you dont have much money to spend on a new scanner, it sounds like you will just have to get a nice new analog trunking scanner. It sounds like you have had good luck with your Radio Shack scanner thus far, so I think you should stick with that brand. As far as being able to hook it up to your computer, mostly all the newer scanners have that feature already, so you'll have it if you want it. I highly recomend the pro-97 (portable handheld type) from radio shack, or the pro-2055 which is the same as the pro-97 but in the desktop model.

Like I said I only breezed over the databse for your area, so I dont know if the departments you are wishing to monitor are broadcasting in digital mode or not, perhaps you might want to try to post the question in the arizona forum someone in there will surely be able to help you.

Keep in mind that "if" the departments you want to monitor ARE operating in digital mode, then the scanners I recomended to you will NOT work on digital frequencies. If you want to purchase a digital scanner you are looking in the price range of around $500.00 or so.

Hope this helps.....good luck!

KE7VJW

Premium Subscriber
Hi Ruth,

Welcome to Tucson! There is a lot going around in Tucson. The Border Patrol (CBP) went digital and mostly encrypted over the summer, so for the little that is in the clear you would need a digital ($500.00) scanner. Tucson PD uses digital on their SWAT and Tactical channels, but a non-digital will get all of the patrol stuff, Marana PD is all encrypted and digital and you will not be able to monitor them. The Pima County Sheriff’s Dept is a LTR Multi-Net system, you need a special program, 2 radios and a computer before you can follow any conversations on that system. You should be able to listen to most of the rest without much of a problem. Check the data base here as it is updated.

You should also join the SEARM-Group on Yahoo.com there is help available from other members and a monthly meeting for those interested in Southeast AZ.

Jim

rmjcmt

Thanks guys for all the advice. I guess I will have to save up my pennies and get a digital scanner. Sounds like one of those would be better. I haven't even tried to use my 15-year-old Radio Shack scanner since I moved here. Thanks again!

rmjcmt

Thanks for the welcome!

Hi Jim.. I take it you live in Tucson? I was afraid that a lot of things had gone digital, but I am really disappointed to hear about them being encrypted. I will check the SEARM group on Yahoo. Thanks again!

jchrist24017 said:
Hi Ruth,

Welcome to Tucson! There is a lot going around in Tucson. The Border Patrol (CBP) went digital and mostly encrypted over the summer, so for the little that is in the clear you would need a digital ($500.00) scanner. Tucson PD uses digital on their SWAT and Tactical channels, but a non-digital will get all of the patrol stuff, Marana PD is all encrypted and digital and you will not be able to monitor them. The Pima County Sheriff’s Dept is a LTR Multi-Net system, you need a special program, 2 radios and a computer before you can follow any conversations on that system. You should be able to listen to most of the rest without much of a problem. Check the data base here as it is updated.

You should also join the SEARM-Group on Yahoo.com there is help available from other members and a monthly meeting for those interested in Southeast AZ.

Jim

rmjcmt

Hi Bently... thanks for the welcome and all the information. I will check the Arizona Forum you mentioned. Thanks again!

Bentley said:
Hi Ruth...first off, welcome to Radio Reference!

I poked around a little bit in the frequency database for Pima County I found some digital frequencies, but being that you dont have much money to spend on a new scanner, it sounds like you will just have to get a nice new analog trunking scanner. It sounds like you have had good luck with your Radio Shack scanner thus far, so I think you should stick with that brand. As far as being able to hook it up to your computer, mostly all the newer scanners have that feature already, so you'll have it if you want it. I highly recomend the pro-97 (portable handheld type) from radio shack, or the pro-2055 which is the same as the pro-97 but in the desktop model.

Like I said I only breezed over the databse for your area, so I dont know if the departments you are wishing to monitor are broadcasting in digital mode or not, perhaps you might want to try to post the question in the arizona forum someone in there will surely be able to help you.

Keep in mind that "if" the departments you want to monitor ARE operating in digital mode, then the scanners I recomended to you will NOT work on digital frequencies. If you want to purchase a digital scanner you are looking in the price range of around $500.00 or so.

Hope this helps.....good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.