Scanner & Pager Interference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikie333

On my desk, I usually have my portable RS 97 scanner and Minitor II fire dept pager

I have noticed that often times one radio will receive 'traffic' while the other one doesn't; sometimes neither will pick up anything. Usually, the RS is scanning several channels and the pager is only locked onto one (VHF). The scanner is set to listen to the same fq as the pager.

Are they too close? I'm just afraid one day while scanning, my pager won't go off because of some sort of interference.

Also, would it make a difference if my pager was on it's 'closed' mode (where it only goes off when the dept tones go off) or open (it picks up anything in range on that fq) when my scanner is on?

Thanks!

(hope that makes some sense)

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
Your pager should not be getting interference from your scanner. It shouldn't matter whether your pager is put on closed or open mode with the scanner next to it.

mikie333

scanfan03 said:
Your pager should not be getting interference from your scanner. It shouldn't matter whether your pager is put on closed or open mode with the scanner next to it.

so why would one work, but the other not?

thanks!

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
Explain the problem again. Do you have the pager in closed mode when you monitor with your scanner or open? How far are you from the repeater? Are you in a valley or on top of a hill/mountain? Give me more specifics as to whats happening.

mikie333

the repeater is about ~1 mile away (the fire station)

On my desk, I have my FD pager and my RS Scanner. My scanner scans about 20fqs in the area INCLUDING the fq my pager is set on. I have noticed that if there is radio traffic on the channel, either the pager will pick it up (if its on open, which it usually is on my desk), or my scanner will, but not both. Sometimes, neither one picks up anything.

I know this is a little confusing/hard to explain.

(if it makes any differences, the fq is 154.3700)

thanks!

n4yek

How far apart are they sitting from each other? If you have them side-by-side move them apart to see if this fixes the problem. All electronic equipment emit some radio waves, even if it is a small amount. They might actually be interfering with each other. Depending on which receiver picks up the signal first, they could be overloading the other one.
Well overloading isn't the correct term, you could have frequencies mixing with the internal oscillators of the units causing the problem.
You wouldn't think this could be possible, but you never know. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.