Scanner Suggestion Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindhunter77

I want to by a scanner, but not sure what to buy. I want to be able to listen to as much as I can as well as I am also looking to attach it to a computer somehow and stream it to a website so others can listen as well. Not sure if they made scanners with certain equipment built in to make that easier or not.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Hi there. I see this is your first post. Welcome to RR.

You've posted quite a list of "requirements" for a scanner. You certainly can get scanners which can be controlled from a computer, and which also lend themselves better to streaming online. However, unless you plan to listen to this scanner via the Internet, I'd suggest one dedicated to streaming and another for listening.

The 2 issues to juggle are usually how much do you want to spend, and how future proof do you want to be. For some people this question is already answered because their local area is largely digital and/or requires a newer scanner to be able to monitor. But even if your area is not the latest and greatest, it is highly likely it will change in the future. Therefore it will typically take less time for an older scanner to not fulfill your needs. Of course there's no guarantee a newer scanner can do the job either (one reason is agencies which are encrypted).

hoser147

Just looked at the database looks like your area Orlando and Orange co are going to a P25 system and have a few radio's on there. If you know anyone that knows whether they are going to run encryption then all bets are off. But looks to me in the near futrure you will need a digital scanner.You might want to check around your area for a live scanner feed and also post in the Florida forum to possibly get more localized information..........Hoser

mindhunter77

According to the database on this site these are going to be the channels I want to listen to,
DEC HEX Mode Description Tag
10672 29b A Fire Tac-1
10704 29d A Fire Tac-2
10736 29f A Fire Tac-3
10768 2a1 A Fire Tac-4
10800 2a3 A Admin.
10832 2a5 A Fire Inspectors
10864 2a7 A Training
24784 60d E Police Dispatch
24816 60f E Police - unid
24848 611 E Police Car to Car
24912 615 E Police Teletype

If this makes sense to anyone could you please tell me what type of scanner I need to buy, in other words what specs need to be present in the one I purchase lol.

Thanks for any help, noob here.

n2mdk

mindhunter77 said:
According to the database on this site these are going to be the channels I want to listen to,
DEC HEX Mode Description Tag
10672 29b A Fire Tac-1
10704 29d A Fire Tac-2
10736 29f A Fire Tac-3
10768 2a1 A Fire Tac-4
10800 2a3 A Admin.
10832 2a5 A Fire Inspectors
10864 2a7 A Training
24784 60d E Police Dispatch
24816 60f E Police - unid
24848 611 E Police Car to Car
24912 615 E Police Teletype

If this makes sense to anyone could you please tell me what type of scanner I need to buy, in other words what specs need to be present in the one I purchase lol.

Thanks for any help, noob here.

The link to the database would be more helpful, you will need a trunking scanner, the Police Talkgroups you have listed show E (encrypted) so they can't be monitored on any scanner.
OK I found it the Winter Park TGIS under Orlando. You might get away with an analog trunking scanner, but the system is listed as analog and digital, so it may not be long before you need
a digital capable scanner.

Last edited:

mindhunter77

n2mdk said:
The link to the database would be more helpful, you will need a trunking scanner, the Police Talkgroups you have listed show E (encrypted) so they can't be monitored on any scanner.

well crap,

thanks though lol.

logansmommyt

okay, im new here. i once visited the site and was able to hear local frequencies on the air HOWEVER it looks as if things has changed can someone guide me in the right direction or fill me in on the details that i am missing. I was wanting to check out the local area's online frequencies and not too sure where to start looking. Thanks for any help.

unitcharlie

a Kentucky DB Admin...
Premium Subscriber
okay, im new here. i once visited the site and was able to hear local frequencies on the air HOWEVER it looks as if things has changed can someone guide me in the right direction or fill me in on the details that i am missing. I was wanting to check out the local area's online frequencies and not too sure where to start looking. Thanks for any help.
Welcome (back) to rr.com.... Tell us where you live and we'll be able to help....

Last edited:

logansmommyt

IM Located in Tennessee

im located in tennessee i would like to be able to hear the local areas like Washington County and Carter County any help would be appreciated I use to be able to come here and just click on my location and then click on the trunking system and was able to hear all local dispatch for the police dept. and the crazy things going on however its all different and im totally lost ...hehehe Thanks again for the help ! ;)

N8IAA

im located in tennessee i would like to be able to hear the local areas like Washington County and Carter County any help would be appreciated I use to be able to come here and just click on my location and then click on the trunking system and was able to hear all local dispatch for the police dept. and the crazy things going on however its all different and im totally lost ...hehehe Thanks again for the help ! ;)

Maybe check in the Tennessee forum to find out if there are any live feeds for the counties you are interested in:))
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.