a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

derrek_lee_25

which states are scanners illegal and when programming a scanner is it possible to have 1 channel trunked then another with conventional frequencies then another with trunked frequencies

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Tfitzmaurice89 said:
I know in Michigan that it is illegal to have a scanner without a lisence, that is what i know.

That is incorrect. Michigan has never required a license to own a scanner. They used to require you to have a ham license, or a Scanner Permit from the state police, to have a scanner in your vehicle...but that no longer applies.

n2mdk

Scanners aren't illegal in any State, the question I guess you mean in what States is it illegal to have a scanner in a vehicle. This link isn't considered to be good by many but it gives you an idea http://www.afn.org/~afn09444/scanlaws/scanner5.html
Not sure I understand the second part of it, on some radios you can mix trunked systems with conventional ones, but it's best really to keep the trunked frequencies together, on EDACS and LTR system the frequencies musr be in LCN order. It really makes no sense to alternate the frequencies. Some States have an exemption in the law for licensed Amateur Operators, Federal law says a State can't make it illegal for licensed Amateurs to have Amateur transceivers in their vehicles that are capable of receiving public safety frequencies, it doesn't actually cover scanners.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.