Scanner Master??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
I was looking for some input on Scanner Master. I'm going to buy a BCD-996 and I saw they had them in stock it says but how are they to deal with? Should I order from them or is there a better deal else where online? Give me your input please

RodStrong

I highly doubt you'll find a better deal anywhere else. Prices are pretty stable on that model. Might find price higher somewhere else, but not likely to find it lower.

I haven't dealt with them peronally, but since RR recommends them, surely they are reputable.

Good luck.

jrodg

I ordered from them for the first time a week ago and it was smooth sailing. Not a bad thing to say. Order was here in 2.5 days (reg ground), and tracking was by the hour...

N1GTL

Database Admin
Maybe their programming costs are expensive but if you are not getting that done, the scanner is cheaper.

I will NEVER do business with Scanner Master again.

N1GTL

Database Admin
<rant>

To further explain my dissatisfaction with Scanner Master, Astro25 and I agreed on a swap. I would take two (2) HT1250 radios and in turn I would order a NIB BCD996T and have it shipped directly to him. Astro25 sent me the radios which tested perfectly. At 10:30 am on Thursday, I tried calling Scanner Master to place the order. I prefer talking to someone to make sure the item is in stock versus doing it online. I also wanted to make sure it would not be an issue shipping the scanner to a mailing address that is different from the one that is tied to my credit card. I got voice mail when "pressing 1 for sales". I hung up.

Astro25 had mentioned that when ordering from them, there is a check box that allows an order to be shipped to a different address. I went ahead and placed the order, checked the box and entered his address. The order went through without a hitch and I got a confirmation e-mail.

When I got home from work, there was a voicemail for me from Scanner Master. The caller said there was a "concern" about my order and asked me to call. Well, I called and, like before, I got voice mail. Doesn't anyone answer the phones there? I hung up and tried again, hitting '0', hoping to get a live body. No such luck. Instead, I got a recording that said "this mailbox if full"......CLICK - I was disconnected. This was close to, but before, their closing time so I was out of luck for the day.

Today, I called first thing (9:00 am) and spoke to a live person. I am not sure who I spoke to. I was told that they were concerned about the different shipping address and the scanner was not shipped! WHAT?!?! Why on earth would a company web site offer to ship an item as a gift to a different address and then NOT SHIP IT because it is going to a different address??? I was told it was to protect me from fraud. Thanks but my credit card company protects me from fraud. The guy apoligized and said the item would ship today and I would get the tracking number in an e-mail. Well, it is 9:00 PM and I have not received any e-mail. He also offered to ship the item second day but according to UPS's web site, shipping to the address is 2 days with normal shipping so I declined. Now, I don't know if the scanner has even been shipped.

If they are not going to ship gift items to a different address, why bother allowing you to enter that choice on the web site? Why not just say please call us if you would like the item shipped to a different address. Oh that's right, no one answers the phones. I called them no less than 5 times in the last 24 hours and got a live person once. On top of this, Astro25, not me, is waiting for HIS radio and they have not provided a tracking number so I don't even know if this poor excuse of a company has shipped the radio.

I know this seems like a minor issue and most people have radios shipped to themselves but I feel bad because I am not the one waiting for the radio and Astro25 kept his side of the deal.

</rant>

rhutch

Well a lot of times the credit card companies won't approve a sale to a different shipping address than the billing address. It sounds like you're making a much bigger deal out of someone trying to do the right thing.

They called you and just wanted to confirm that it was not a bogus transaction, but hey I guess no one is ever at home to answer your phone.

The tracking number actually come's from UPS and they can take awhile, thye shipper has no control over it.

garys

Premium Subscriber
rhutch said:
Well a lot of times the credit card companies won't approve a sale to a different shipping address than the billing address. It sounds like you're making a much bigger deal out of someone trying to do the right thing.

I doubt that the credit card company knows if there is a difference between the billing and shipping addresses since they don't see the shipping address. The decision whether to allow shipping to a different address (drop shipping) or not is at the vendor level.

They called you and just wanted to confirm that it was not a bogus transaction, but hey I guess no one is ever at home to answer your phone.

He called them. If they had a concern, they should have called him. That's why they ask for your phone number, in case there is a problem with the sale or shipment. Having a full voice mail box is just poor form. They should be more diligent than that.

The tracking number actually come's from UPS and they can take awhile, thye shipper has no control over it.

That depends on how the shipment is done. I do a fair amount of shipping via FedEx and UPS. I'd imagine Scanner Master does 100 times more than I do. I'd also imagine that they have on line accounts with both companies. When you do a shipment on line, the tracking number is created and if you look it will appear pretty quickly on their sites. At the bare minimum the tracking results will show "Billing information received". As soon as the driver picks the package up and scans it into his handheld device, the system is updated.

All of that being said, Scanner Master has a very good reputation. I haven't bought much from them over the years, but they seem pretty professional. This just seems like a slip up to me, not a reason not to buy from them.

Gary

Fast1eddie

I wanted to order some AOR accessories and Butel software, was going to spend around $250.00. Called with some questions and was given "I don't know" and made no attempt to get an answer or follow up. This was shortly after their business day began. They lost my business and will never get any orders from me. What a joke.

trace1

Scanner Master

That is where I got my BCD396T a couple of years ago, I'd certainly do business with them again.

vansigint98661

Premium Subscriber
I have ordered from Scanner Master before and had reletively good luck. Sometimes they don't have the best price and/or are out of stock, but they have always worked with you. The voice mail thing is a serious concern.

I have also ordered from Bearcat Warehouse.com on two occasions. The first time was a 396, got it quickly, no issues. The second time was a nightmare. First, they sent the wrong radio. I returned it (admittedly with attitude since it appeared to me to be a stupid mistake that only a grade school kid would make. The excuse was his daughter (home from college?) was helping out! OK...Fine. I ask for the right radio. It arrives DOA. Come on! Won't even pick up US Wx in a large metropolitan area???? Personally, I still believe it was intentional, but I clearly have no way to prove it.

The bottom line is that although they finally did the right thing and did not even charge me for the initial shipping, I still had to pay for the return, so I was out about $15.00, and about 3 weeks of wasted effort and never got the radio I wanted. Clearly, I cannot recommend Bearcat Warehouse.com.

As for the initial problem of the credit card company not allowing delivery to other than billing address. I have things delivered to my work all of the time. No one is home during the day at the house. By God we all work for a living! I agree with the person above who said the credit card companies never know that information. It is the vendor. They may believe they are trying to do the right thing, but it makes it hard on those of us who don't stay home watching Judge "Judy" all day. This is why I won't do business with another volume vendor who I contacted and indicated that this very thing was their policy. They advertise in all of the magazines, but look to me like their products are a generation or two behind the cutting edge. Naturally, this is merely my opinion.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Ordered many scanners from Scanner Master and always a pleasure to deal with.

powerhouse

Two years ago I ordered my BCD396 from ScannerMaster on the Monday after Thanksgiving and received it that same week as I recall. Just after this past Christmas I ordered my PSR500 from them and again received it a few days later. I would do business with them again and in fact I undertstand they are getting ready to sell leather cases for the PSR500 so I check out their website everyday to see if they are available yet.
Very nice people to deal with INMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.