CB monitoring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
First off, let me say that I really dont want to listen to a bunch of pick-n'-flick truckers talk about lot-lizards or whatnot, but I have tried a few times to monitor the CB presets in the 26-27mhz range with nothing for results on my GRE PSR-300. I have used the stock rubberduck, a nice japanese made 144-440mhz + general coverage antanaee that my girl got me from CCrane, and even a telescoping UHF/VHF TV antanaee spread -eagle outside a 3rd floor window on a hill. I am less than two miles from two major highways and cannot imagine that the truckers are not talking. I just want to find out if the case is:

A: There is nothing to hear
B: Scanner is deaf on this band
C: Need CB whip antanaee to hear.
D: doing something wrong.

All help appreciated!

Jimmy252

Premium Subscriber
CB's have really declined in use over the years, except down south (GA, AB, FL). Here in detroit where i live, i am less than 3 miles from 3 major freeways and i rarely hear anything at all... and when i do hear someone, most of the time its just enthusiasts talking from home. however when i go down to Cordelle GA, CB's are used a lot, both with truckers and motorists. So i think it prolly the area you are in, like detroit, not too many CB users.

N8IAA

C: Need CB whip antanaee to hear.[/QUOTE said:
All of the antennae you have mentioned are band specific, i.e. VHF and UHF. An inexpensive CB antenna will allow you to hear (but not a back of radio antenna) much better. But, a cheap mobile hooked up to a power supply with the proper antenna will blow away the scanner.
Just my thoughts,
Larry

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
N8IAA said:
All of the antennae you have mentioned are band specific, i.e. VHF and UHF. An inexpensive CB antenna will allow you to hear (but not a back of radio antenna) much better. But, a cheap mobile hooked up to a power supply with the proper antenna will blow away the scanner.
Just my thoughts,
Larry

Yeah, I was hoping I could hear with the rubberduck as it is supposed to be "general spectrum" or whatever. If I'm buying another antanae it is not going to be specific to listen to truck-drivers.

How about that collapseable one that Radio Shack sells for like $30-$40?

I guess I just want to hear "more"

n4yek

N8IAA said:
Just my thoughts,
Larry
Larry is correct, I myself live 100 yards off of I-40 here in East Tennessee and with the rubber duck antenna I barely get anything from the truckers as they pass by the home. I put up a cheap mag mount cb antenna I found at a yard sale and you have a drastic increase of signal.
The antenna selection is definitely a major thing when it comes to monitoring a particular band of frequencies.

N1BHH

You really don't need any special antenna to hear CB. Yeah, if you really wanted to hear them it would be good to have something up outside that can hook them in. There's just not a lot of stuff to hear except when there is a band opening. I hear some of the locals on my PRO97 with just the OEM duck, but you could hook up a 9 foot wire on the cheap and maybe hear a little more. You can hear some truckers yapping on channel 19, best time to listen is, of course, daytime when they are usually on the road.

firetaz834

Well, I was playing with a very nice CB Radio that I've had for years (was made by Motorola) and I bet you didn't know that Motorola at one time manufactured CB radios. But, I had a CB radio antenna mounted in my attic and hooked it up to see what I could hear. I'm about 100 yards from US23 in Livingston County (MI) and I was able to hear some traffic on US23 and I-96, so it is active at times. But, again you need the right antenna.

CLTX11

As stated before, I lean towards needing a tuned antenna to that range. On top of that I am not sure how many truckers use power amps but you will not get that great of range on an out of box CB.

Get a CB tuned antenna and hook it up, I am sure you will see an improvement.

nozzlenut83

I use a Radio Shack handheld CB (both with the original stock antenna and the RS telescoping antenna Cat#20-006) while travelling on I-84 and I-95 in CT several times each year. There is plenty of activity especially during the daytime. So CB is not dead in the area yet.

I would also tend to believe that your antenna may be an issue. You may want to try the RS telescoping antenna (Cat# 20-006 costs like $18). You may also find improvements on VHF Low.

Hope this helps,
nozzlenut83

w5cyc

Why??

....well, because AM is the proper mode. If your scanner is set to FM mode, you'll have about as good a chance of hearing CB trannies as you would hearing public safety stuff in AM mode.

RodStrong

w5cyc said:
you'll have about as good a chance of hearing CB trannies as you would hearing public safety stuff in AM mode.

CB Trannies? Transvestite truckers?

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
Alright, sounds like its an antanaee issue. I will keep my eyes open this spring for a CB antanaee as it is yard-sale season. No way am I buying one new. I know I wont use it more than once if I do buy new. I'm no yardsale elmer that putzes around haggling over .25 cent lawn jockeys, but I stop if I see vintage electronics because of enourmous ammounts of treasure. (ok, you guys wouldnt consider an Atari 7800 NIB for $5 mint, but I do) I'm hoping that I can find some SW recivers this year, as I know I walked right past them in the past saying to myself "ew, why would anyone want some crappy old radio":roll: :roll: :roll: Now I kick myself because I see guys selling mint zenith ghetto blasters for from 1983 for like $300 on eScam. and they usually sound better too!:D

bobmich52

TSX, I Was Killing Time Before A Appointment The Other Day And Was Sitting Up At The Buckland Hills Mall, Upper Level By Macys & Used The Service Search On My 996 To See What Was On The CB Band.

I Use 2 Glass Mount Antennas To Listen, Yep I Know Many Folks Diss Them, But It Works Just Fine For This Area.

Except For Some Skip, I Did Not Hear A Thing, And As You Well Know, It Is Near Several Highways & The Mall Upper Level Is Elevated For Sure.

I Was Into CB In The 70's, It Got Too Stupid, Went Into SSB, Somewhat More Civilized.

Had Fun Shooting SSB Skip With Only 12 watts , Best Confirmed Contact Was Yugoslavia

It Is A Dead Hobby Around Here For Sure

Pain

There is one advantage of a scanner over just using a CB radio is that you can scan all 40 channel to look for activity. It might seem obvious but I did not think of till recently; just program the 40 channels into a system and let the scanner do what it's designed for. While your at it you might want to put in another group that has the FRS and GMRS freqs.

Status
Not open for further replies.