Config settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwulf1

Please confirm if this is true. Config settings like hold, delay, and adding more and more
systems, groups to your scanner interferes with actual transmissions. I notice the more and more functions you give a scanner to perform the more it slows down and interferes with actual transmissions.

An example is with several systems being scanned and the config settings set with hold and delay times when an actual transmission is found the scanner is still trying to scan and sometime cuts the transmission short.

Has anyone else had to deal with this and how best to survive this.

Many Thanks

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RR redwulf1.

As scanner technology improves, and features are added, their processors get more powerful, and run faster. So I don't think new features in general slow down overall scanning that much. If you program longer delays, and priority channels, of course that will slow things down.

I think the problem has more to do with loading, and scanning more data then we used to. Years ago, the average scanner wouldn't have more than a dozen frequencies, and no talk groups programed. Now we get into the thousands!

n2mdk

On the Uniden DMA scanners I have, the more systems you put in the longer it takes to scan through them, especially trunked systems. The delay doesn't really effect scanning speed as such but the hold does. The delay keeps it from going back into scan once transmission drops the hold makes it linger longer on each system being scanned.

redwulf1

Config Settings

Thank you for the welcome. Yes, I understand about processor speed and I did feel as though hold and delay are settings that play some part in transmission. I would also think that antenna, coax cable and from others on this site mentioning weather are other factors
to consider in transmission.

So I put out that if we indeed take care for these items is there any other things we can consider to better control transmission speed, transmission time and strength. It seems that scanner manufacturers have done a great job with features and software compared to the old days. But can we employ things like boosters ( I remember the term SWL for meters in base stations). Tweak processors, or use some of the Ham radio technology in a
further effort.

Kind Regards,
redwulf1

Status
Not open for further replies.