Coweta Co new 700 Site First Talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julian1

771.08125 Control Channel as noted by Mike - a.k.a. MetroFire

Driving through Monday morning, I heard an S.O. supervisor tell everyone that Coweta 911 was live and to use their new radios - especially hand helds. I presume that meant to verify coverage and report on problems.

It's after 10:30 on Wednesday morning. System sounds very good. My 996 is doing ok w/ the P-25.

TG 15501 - County Jail traffic
TG 15004 - Coweta Co Sheriff 911

TG 15002 - S.O. seeking time on alarm call. Just heard someone going 10-8 - not sure yet what this one is unless..... the S.O. is going to have two dispatch channels. Will advise further

TG 15201 EMS Dispatch

TG15611 - Public Works traffic

Newnan PD is still working on their VHF - I don't know if they're set to make the switch too.

Got some work to do.... Back to it. I'll post more TG's that I save while in Newnan today.

Happy Scanning / Support your local gun ranges - and have a blast!

bonus1331

I live in Coweta and was having a real hard time getting acceptable reception at the house.
Changed the alignment on the Yagi and am now getting 2-3 bars on the HP.
Not s good as I would think, but can at least now copy about 80%.
Have it set to log new TG's as of last night.
Looks like the crew has done a good job getting things started in the database already.
Will continue to add my additions as I identify through the submission process.

terrister

I was told Newnan Pd will stay on vhf for now. Newnan is not large enough to have the radio problems the SO had.

Julian1

Coweta 700 - Talkgroups received today

Here are some TG's I picked up today. I did hear Coweta S.O. but I wasn't able to re-lable the tag when I did a "quick save".

I hope this info helps kick off the efforts. Thanks to those who have already posted.

During a FD/EMS call today - instructions were given to those setting up Landing Zone for helicopter to get an old radio and switch to HEAR for talking to the helo. The FD Supervisor stated that the new radios had not yet been programmed with HEAR.

* Also - the FD Tac channels will be used by EMS too. I heard a dispatcher telling a unit she was talking to a Med unit and an FD unit on Tac-1.

15002 Law Enf Heard 100-PD & 400-PD units
15611 STREETS ?

15201 EMS
15601 UTILTY
2033 EMS TO HOSPITAL - HEARD CALL TO PIEDMONT Newnan today
15502 PRISONER WORK CREWS?
15301 LE- TAC (I don't know if this was S.O. or PD's)
15101 Coweta Fire Alarm MAIN
15102 ..Coweta Fire Ops (like response channel) or this is TAC-1
15103 Coweta Fire - sounded like another TAC channel
15302 Senoia Police Secondary

Julian1

Oops!! Should of checked the D'base first!!

Please excuse me.... I neglected to check the database before posting info.

Thanks to those who submitted that info.

I have what I think are three new TG numbers.

15302 - Senoia Police - Secondary

15202 - EMS Dispatch

2033 - EMS / HEAR ? A unit was talking to Piedmont-Newnan's E.R. w/ patient info.

Looking forward to finding more info.

Best to you all!!

terrister

I have noticed something odd about this new systrem. I listen to Warrs in Carroll county where I live. I am hearing NO Coweta traffic on the 800 MHZ band.
As I drive to work in Newnan, I start hearing Coweta calls on the 700 MHZ tower.
No Carroll traffic is on the 700 tower. I can pick up the 800 out of Whitesburg.
The 2 systems do not link up to each other yet. Either that or I messed up somewhere on my programing.

ptcdiveops

I have noticed something odd about this new systrem. I listen to Warrs in Carroll county where I live. I am hearing NO Coweta traffic on the 800 MHZ band.
As I drive to work in Newnan, I start hearing Coweta calls on the 700 MHZ tower.
No Carroll traffic is on the 700 tower. I can pick up the 800 out of Whitesburg.
The 2 systems do not link up to each other yet. Either that or I messed up somewhere on my programing.

I logged a couple dozen hits of Carroll County SO and Heard County SO on 700 Mhz in September and October. The latest Carroll County traffic in my logs on 700 Mhz is CCSO Dispatch beginning at midnight and ending at 0630 on 11/1. The capability is there, they just haven't turned it up full time.

bonus1331

You folks getting good reception on the 700 Mhz frequencies?
I'm in Sharpsburg and am having a tough time getting more than 2 bars irregardless of the antenna used.
I get better reception on the Fulton County and MARTA TRS than I do the WARRS Coweta site.

ptcdiveops

I'm seeing 1 to 5 bars on a BCD396XT with rubber duckie antenna. I'm in the area of Cedar Creek Rd and Happy Valley Circle which is about 850ft elevation.

bonus1331

WQNY386 (COWETA, COUNTY OF) FCC Callsign Details

PTC,
Looks like you have a tower practically in your backyard on Temple Ave in Newnan.

I'm near Fischer Rd. and Andrew Bailey in Sharpsburg which seems about equal distance between the Newnan and Senoia towers.
Could be the issue.
Have a Yagi I'm using in the attic.
May have to attempt the external mount.
Frustrating that I can't get my home County reliably on either the HP or 396XT.

chrismcg24

5-0 Radio app -- newbie question

I use the 5-0 Radio iPhone app to listen to scanner traffic, and have missed being able to listen to Coweta sheriff & fire traffic. Will that ever be possible again via the app, or has Coweta's change to the new system ended it permanently?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Well someone will have to pony up the 500 bucks or so for a digital scanner. Maybe RadioReference can, since they profit from the stream people provide? Otherwise, until someone feels charitable and doing so, the feed will most likely remain silent.

Hopefully Coweta won't run encryption, I had someone tell me some of the TG's are, at least so their APX6000 indicated when affiliated on those TG's. Its only ADP but enough to render any scanner useless.

KK4DAN

ptcdiveops is currently the one that provides the feeds for the for Coweta/Newnan Sheriff/Police/Fire so that's 4 different scanners. Of course with them being on VHF, you could get away with basically any old scanner.

So as MTS2000des said, at this point it would require 2 dedicated digital scanners to get the Coweta Sheriff & Fire back on the air monitoring their new talkgroups on the digital system. That's definitely a lot of money to pony up a digital scanner to just sit there and monitor one talk group for 24/7

And I'm pretty sure Newnan Police and Fire probably aren't far behind moving to the new digital system and that would be two more required.

I'm missing hearing them too, but at this point, I can even convince myself to pony up for one digital scanner since there always seems to be a ham radio out there I want instead.

peepaw61

Premium Subscriber
Coweta County assistance or advice needed.

I live south of Newnan and drive to Peachtree City daily. I have been scanning for over 30 years in Coweta... but I am very new to the digital era. Dropped a few on a "Home Patrol" and I am not real pleased. Missing alot of dispatches and most SO car to base. Very clear signal but mobiles are often distorted (encryption?). Tried the stock antenna and my mobile also... same thing. It does not seem to be my reception but rather the signals from the digital system.
Any advice for a "newbie" to the digital age?

Thanks for your time and input

peepaw61

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
PeePaw61,

I have come to believe that by their very nature, digital scanners do NOT capture every conversation. I say that because I've been monitoring a talkgroup while a member of our local PD or FD was closeby and traffic on his radio was nowhere to be heard on my scanner. Didn't even stop scanning! So, just recognize that the technology difference between a Uniden digital scanner and a Motorola P25 portable radio is light years.

Mike
Metrofire31
Smyrna
WQIT636

peepaw61

Premium Subscriber
Metrofire31... thanks for your input.
I understand what you are saying. Would I possibly be better off with a 396XT or something else? I don't plan to tweak and tune and spend hours a day seeing what's out there... I just want to listen casually as in the past and need to know what will be my best "bang for my buck"
I can stick with the Home Patrol but I will replace it if needed.

Thanks again for your input.
Peepaw61

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
PeePaw61,

I have come to believe that by their very nature, digital scanners do NOT capture every conversation. I say that because I've been monitoring a talkgroup while a member of our local PD or FD was closeby and traffic on his radio was nowhere to be heard on my scanner. Didn't even stop scanning! So, just recognize that the technology difference between a Uniden digital scanner and a Motorola P25 portable radio is light years.

Mike
Metrofire31
Smyrna
WQIT636

The problem is more so that MOTOROLA simulcast digital trunking systems use a slightly different modulation than non-simulcast systems known as CQPSK.

CQPSK is supposed to be "compatible" with C4FM, but in reality a receiver has to be designed specifically for it. Scanners are not. They experience a high recovered bit error rate, even when the relative signal strength is high. This is why your digital scanners work poorly on simulcast digital systems. Without getting too technical, CQPSK works by offsetting the carrier phase shift just slightly at each transmitting site. This is done to prevent the signals from cancelling each other out. On analog simulcast systems, you hear it as a "wavering' audio in the carrier.

Until one of the scanner manufacturers put real effort into designing a receiver with a front end properly capable of demodulating CQPSK, you have to make the best of it. Nulling out a dominant carrier sometimes helps, using the attenuator function of the scanner, directional antennas, etc. YMMV.

At least you can hear SOMETHING and the agency hasn't gone encrypted (yet).

ptcdiveops

I never paid much attention to the tower locations and my distance from them but you're right, I'm about 7 miles from Temple Ave and 15 from Senoia. While you work out your reception issues feel free to hop on my personal feed at http://99.112.0.53:45080 or ProScan port 5000, same IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.