Metro Atlanta Crown Victoria replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casey

Not terribly off-topic, has anybody seen new metro police fleet vehicles showing up yet as Crown Vic replacements? GSP has gone Charger and Sandy Springs has bought a number of Caprices...I've seen nothing new with Cobb, Dekalb, City of Atlanta and some of the other small departments (they must have stockpiled Vics) but I'm only one pair of eyes. I've yet to see a police interceptor Taurus on the street here or any other Caprices other than those Sandy Springs units. Will miss easily recognizable Crown Victoria headlight pattern in the rearview.

Casey

Looks like Cobb County has unleashed New Caprices, saw the first one today...I don't think it was STEP, regular zone car working a wreck on the side of 75. Had the full PIT wrap around bumper too.

gman4661

Not a metro agency, but Richmond Co. SO just bought about 40 of the new Fords. Saw one parked over the weekend. Looks good, but it will take some getting used to...

Casey

City of Atlanta has new Ford Police Interceptor Utility SUVs at the airport (did not see a Police Interceptor Taurus)...they are brand new...the paint job is something new...it looks more 'electric' and brighter than the standard livery of the last few years. Wish I had a chance to snap a picture.

thedogfood

East Point is going with the Ford Interceptor sedan. They look nice, but a lot less like the classic "black and whites" compared to the CVPI. EPPD is still using CVPIs and Chargers, along with the new Fords and all have different paint schemes.

Morrow PD has a least one of the Australian Caprice model. It looks more like a neighborhood patrol car than a real PD vehicle.

wsvjr

Cobb County Police has indeed switched to the Chevy Caprice as the new standard patrol vehicle to replace the crown vic. So far all the Caprices received have been placed in precincts and the reaction seems to be very positive.

Casey

I think Cobb ordered 11 of them...roughly 2 per precinct. I have seen them in 1, 4 and 3 zones so far. The ones i've seen have recycled the older MPH Python II KA radar systems, I thought they might have gone to the smaller MPH Bee III units with PoP (like STEP has) but it looks like they just carried over the same old equipment, but the lightbars looked new.

Casey

8183001758_e380faacd1_c.jpg

Last edited:

mjbjr

The sheriffs office has a couple new cars as well,hard to tell it has lights on top from a distance. :(

rapidcharger

I wonder why the police don't drive Lexus and BMWs and Mercedes.
When you think about it, they love to spend money on expensive radio systems so why wouldn't they want to spend money on expensive cars too? Interceptor, interschmeptor. A 600hp Maybach would outperform any Ford or Chevy and keep us safe from all the terrorist and molestors.. More room for prisoners in the back seat too.

Casey

Cobb Caprice moving fast

cobbcaprice.jpg

Very subtle but they added the word 'County' back into the side decals on the Caprices..it was always 'Cobb Police" since they went black paint.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.