Digital or not? GRE vs. Uniden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustman219

Premium Subscriber
My BC246T has developed a recetion problem and I'm thinking of replacing it. I don't know if high cost of digtial is worth the difference in trunking. How perdominate is digtial going to be. I use(d) my scanner for local activity. Where is the best place to look at for best value, period?
Thanks everyone.
Dusty

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Well let's start with the 'reception problem' - please be more specific.

As to how widespread digital is, a note to our Georgia forum would be appropriate - local scannists are the best ones to answer this. Some areas don't want digital because of the costs, but many major cities are making the move. I suspect that if you ever go into the Atlanta area, you would likely need P25, but again, let the locals give you proper guidance

HTH..Mike

Last edited:

dustman219

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reecomendation. I've talked to scanmaster where I purchased my scanner three years. They too don't have any answers in light of what I have already done. The best way I can explain the issue is that it sounds like the channels are slightly off. You can hear it in the background but very weak and a lot of static. The squelch won't tune it out. I wiped out the raido and reloaded freqencies from RR. Didn't help. Tried to reset the unit per instructions, but not sure it took.

dustman219

Premium Subscriber
I have a Uniden BC 246T that is giving me problems and I'm thinking on replacing it. It's been a good scanner, but I can't fix the problem and I've talked to Scannermaster too. Anyway, I wonder if digital is the way to go. I hear that id the way things are going to. Is it worth the difference in cost? The other thing I don't know if GRE is a better value and radio than Uniden? I hear that the GRE is more radio for the money and that your paying a lot for the Uniden brand name. I've been trying to research a comparison of the GRE 800 to a compairable Uniden model. Can't really find a nutral site that does one to one compairsons. Anyone have any opions of the above or reccomendations?
Thanks for any help.

michaeldim

Premium Subscriber
Where you live I would definitely suggest digital. Fulton County is still analog but everyone in and around Atlanta is going P25.

As for GRE or Uniden, I have only ever used GRE radios, so I cannot attest to Uniden. I really like my PRO-106 personally. Though the feature set on the PSR-800 is ever-tempting, I'm not sure if I'm ready to give up my keypad yet.

For the GRE side, I'd recommend the PSR-500/Pro-106 (I like the 106's appearance better). Like I said, I can't really say anything about Uniden, I've never played with one.

K9WG

I have to agree with michaeldim. Digital is the way a lot of agencies are going. I have the GRE-PSR600 and have had very good results. A lot depends on what you are wanting to monitor.

scottb908

Feed Provider
I have 2 gre scanners a 500 and 600. From an operation standpoint it is a bit of a learning curve but once you get it they are very flexible. Customer service is far above most others. In my gre handheld a battery exploded and started to eat the circuit boards. I contacted the service department and they are fixing it for free. Keep in mind the radio is far from under warranty and batteries aren't their fault. They had the unit 2 days and the unit is on the home

W9NES

I would look at the Uniden 396XT, Uniden 996xt, and the Uniden Home Patrol HP-1. all (3) are excellent choices for digital."Your results may very on the GRE"

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
If you want to be able to listen to anything, digital is the only option. Fulton already has a bid out for a consultant for a new P25 phase I/II 700/800 system to replace the 21 year old Smartnet II system in use now, so it's only a matter of months to a couple years before they finally retire it, pending funding sources.

I have a Uniden 396T, but side by side with a friends' PSR500, the PSR hands down excels at decoding P25 CQPSK-LSM simulcast (which is what every P25 trunking system except MARTA uses). Audio is excellent. Sure, the PSR is a step backwards as far as the UI, and isn't as cool looking as the Unidens, but in the end of the day, it receives better.

And in the end, that is the whole point of scanning, to listen, not spending $500 to have a nice bookend.

W9NES

My Uniden 396XT, Uniden 396T,Uniden 996T, and Uniden 796D and Uniden HP-1 Home Patrol Have been tested side by side with a GRE- PSR 500 and their is a big difference.In my area the GRE-PSR500 did not decode anything in my area. All of my Unidens had great audio and no problems with P-25CQPSK-LM. The point of scanning is not buying a radio that will not work.My Unidens do work and they work well".Your mileage will very with a GRE"

mule1075

Feed Provider
My Uniden 396XT, Uniden 396T,Uniden 996T, and Uniden 796D and Uniden HP-1 Home Patrol Have been tested side by side with a GRE- PSR 500 and their is a big difference.In my area the GRE-PSR500 did not decode anything in my area. All of my Unidens had great audio and no problems with P-25CQPSK-LM. The point of scanning is not buying a radio that will not work.My Unidens do work and they work well".Your mileage will very with a GRE"

Hey that's great your unidens are working for you in your area but they might not work in his area.Now before this gets into a GRE Vs Uniden bashing thread his mileage might vary with either brand.To the OP do your research as i am not from your area i cant really tell you which one would be better for your area i see a few people in your state and area have chimed in here and they will be more helpful in your decision.

Last edited:

W9NES

Thanks mule1075 for your post.If the OP wants a simple radio to use I would look at the Uniden.After all you spend a lot of money and you want to make sure you can hear what is going on in your area The best idea is to find someone in the OPs area that has a digital scanner and see what the OP can find that works best in his area.

dustman219

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to everyone for your expertise, suggestions and reccomendations. I apreciate you taking the time to help out. Does anyone know if there is a scanner publication that might have comparison information or a web site that might offer such information.
Thanks again. Hope everyone has a outstanding July 4ht celebration. "SHOW THE FLAG..SUPPORT THE TROOPS". GOD BLESS AMERICA.....PLEASE!!!

N8IAA

As MTS2000 posted, the PSR-500/600 will decode the digital P-25 systems in the Metro-ATL area better than the Unidens. I own both brands and hands down, the GRE's are much better scanners. I really believe that if you don't live in the metro area being discussed, reccommendations on what scanners work better for other state/county systems does not mean it will work better here. There is a core group in the metro-atl area that will help you with your choice:)
Now, if they do go to a P-25 phase II, the only scanner currently working on that is the PSR-800.

HTH,
Larry

blue5011

I prefer a Uniden over a GRE simply because I can get free scanner control software (Freescan). If all you do is listen, then a GRE is the way to go. But I log every hit, so I see if something "new" comes online. Everyone will be using P25 digital eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.