Fulton county Smartnet II system crash and burn

Status
Not open for further replies.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
I think they may have used UASI channels.

I wish I had been in range to try and figure out what they used. UASI makes sense though. I know Alpharetta and Milton have Forsyth TG's in all their portables and in dispatch so that is always an option.

RobertsRadio

Fulton County Radio system crash and burn

I wish I had been in range to try and figure out what they used. UASI makes sense though. I know Alpharetta and Milton have Forsyth TG's in all their portables and in dispatch so that is always an option.

Yes, and the City of Johns Creek Fire and Police also have their radios programmed with talkgroups on the Forsyth County System for interoperability and backup too.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
during the response to the shooting at World Changers on Burdett Rd (which is right down the street from one of the FCTRS prime sites BTW), I heard the telltale signs of out of sync simulcast warble on the carrier on my portable, but I am in SW Cobb. Usually I can get the FCTRS better than any other system here except Atlanta.

This thing is on it's last leg. It needs to be overhauled completely or just put out of it's misery.

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
during the response to the shooting at World Changers on Burdett Rd (which is right down the street from one of the FCTRS prime sites BTW), I heard the telltale signs of out of sync simulcast warble on the carrier on my portable, but I am in SW Cobb. Usually I can get the FCTRS better than any other system here except Atlanta.

This thing is on it's last leg. It needs to be overhauled completely or just put out of it's misery.

I wonder how Fulton County plans on doing this? Surely they wont build a countywide DTRS!

rapidcharger

Maybe they can just give all the officers ipads?
shrug2.gif

Just send them an email with a link to Apple Maps showing the location of the incident.
radioReferenceRL.gif

Just a thought.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Interesting Article here "If the county were to move forward in replacing its radio system infrastructure, it would have to foot the entire $26 million bill."

NeighborNewspapers.com - County split on 911 upgrades

Quite a big bill to foot being that they aren't paying a dime to freeload now.
Watch the whiners "I don't want to pay more taxes but I want great services" begin in 3....2....1
I still say IXP should pony up for something, wether it be joining the new county system or if they choose to build out their own, as IXP designed a 911 center and runs CHATCOMM, they have an obligation to provide all infrastructure to do so.

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Crashed again June 17th

Once again, at around 1700 this date, the FCTRS went offline. North county CHATCOMM and Roswell/Alphatetta agencies are switching to UASI (Chatcomm on UASI Law East 1), south county agencies are on 8TAC-92.

The system itself is still up but sounds like a few sites and console links may be failing.

Not to fear though, MA M has been selected as the new vendor for the new FCTRS, it's on Wednesday's agenda at the BOC meeting if anyone cares.

Casey

So it looks like North Fulton listeners will have the Phase I P25 UASI overlay and Fulton will purchase a Phase II system most likely? Are we also looking at another system being purchased by just the cities or will they wait for Fulton like years prior?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
the county has selected Motorola and will move to a P25 phase II system:
http://mm1.co.fulton.ga.us/cache/00010/313/ag130619bh.pdf

the cities have chosen to build their own network, and created a Unified Radio System, also a Motorola Astro 25 phase 2, but excludes the city of Johns Creek, who most likely will remain on the current (and future replacement) Fulton county system:
http://www.sandyspringsga.org/getme...orth-Fulton-Unified-Radio-System;;.aspx;.html

The UASI is an overlay and will continue to be used as a backup and as a transition system while the two new systems are built out and finalized

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Wonder if with Johns Creek not wanting to bid into the new system, if they will also bow out of ChatComm? And, will they continue on the Fulton system or possibly conventional?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Wonder if with Johns Creek not wanting to bid into the new system, if they will also bow out of ChatComm? And, will they continue on the Fulton system or possibly conventional?

The Fulton RFP included Johns Creek as having console access on the new system. Not sure if this means they will stick with Chatcomm or not.

IMO, the cities on the north county side are acting like total snob rear ends not wanting to join the county network. All their crying and whining about not being in control show what their problem is really all about.

At the end of the day, Fulton county OWNS the very real estate that these cities will NEED to construct a decent system when it comes to infrastructure (read: tower sites). And if I were them, I'd make them pay dearly for site leases for wanting to be a bunch of snotnoses. If you've studied the new Fulton RFP, you'll see it will have vast wide area portable coverage just as solid on the North county as it will South county and point in between.

but since those "rich" cities have it like that, let em pay for their own system. Watch the taxpayers start crying once the tab for the "Unified Radio System" come in, and they will be pretty angry when they find out that they could have saved millions and just joined the new Fulton network, which they are paying for anyway being they are still Fulton county taxpayers. Morons.

Status
Not open for further replies.