GSP in Georgia

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Hello Everyone from your neighbor in Florida,

I have a question I am traveling through Georgia to visit my fathers family this Wednesday in Fort Valley, Georgia. I was wondering to program the Georgia State Patrol do I need to program all the frequencies listed or need certain frequencies? I'm coming up from Tampa.

SCPD

QRT
GSP uses a semi-duplex mode, similar to taxi services, when dispatching. You will want to program 154.680mhz to hear the base/dispatch side and 154.800mhz to hear the mobiles, 154.680mhz is used for car to car comms too. The troopers in our area also use local county frequencies and the Palmetto 800 trunked radio system. You may want to map out your route and decide if you want to add local systems that you will travel through.

Program the statewide net, 154.905/154.935, as they have been known to use it as well.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
GSP uses a semi-duplex mode, similar to taxi services, when dispatching. You will want to program 154.680mhz to hear the base/dispatch side and 154.800mhz to hear the mobiles, 154.680mhz is used for car to car comms too. The troopers in our area also use local county frequencies and the Palmetto 800 trunked radio system. You may want to map out your route and decide if you want to add local systems that you will travel through.

Program the statewide net, 154.905/154.935, as they have been known to use it as well.

Got all the frequencies programmed as you mentioned above. I appreciate the help. :D

procopper7005

Premium Subscriber
Got all the frequencies programmed as you mentioned above. I appreciate the help. :D

You will also need an external VHF whip antenna if you expect to receive much of anything as GSP does not use repeaters in most areas. Without it you will surely not hear the troopers, just dispatch.

Also program in 765.4375 with a 56.7 PL. This is the freq for the mobile extenders, if you can hear them on this then you are usually within a mile or less of a trooper.

lep

Hello Everyone from your neighbor in Florida,

I have a question I am traveling through Georgia to visit my fathers family this Wednesday in Fort Valley, Georgia. I was wondering to program the Georgia State Patrol do I need to program all the frequencies listed or need certain frequencies? I'm coming up from Tampa.

This probably too late to help you but if your travels take you to the Eastern side of GA, that is along I-95 most of the GSP is migrating to SEGARRN, which is an APCO P-25 network 700/800 MHz digital system. Post 42 and Post 11, for example are both on SEGARRN and are remote controlled and dispatched from Brunswick, GA but using the transmitters and calls of their licensed locations. Counties already connected include Chatham, Effingham, Bryan,Liberty, Long, Glynn, Mcintosh

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
This probably too late to help you but if your travels take you to the Eastern side of GA, that is along I-95 most of the GSP is migrating to SEGARRN, which is an APCO P-25 network 700/800 MHz digital system. Post 42 and Post 11, for example are both on SEGARRN and are remote controlled and dispatched from Brunswick, GA but using the transmitters and calls of their licensed locations. Counties already connected include Chatham, Effingham, Bryan,Liberty, Long, Glynn, Mcintosh

Thank you for this information. I'm already home in Florida but planning on going back very soon. I plan on going up 75 north only route I really know accept for the Albany/Sylvester way but I'll stick to i75 route. I noticed also when I was headed home and decided to stop in Valdosta, Georgia for a break I picked up Valdosta's Sheriff Department on Georgia State Patrol frequency GSP 3 SO Net while they were doing a Funeral also picked up some traffic on GSP PAC-RT U & GSP 1 DISPATCH and some car to car talk.

Last edited:

nbarco

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know in Augusta, do they have a dedicated talk group? I hear them sometimes on Augusta's dispatches, but never on Columbia County's old VHF. I hear their dispatch occasionally on 154.680, but very sporadic.

gman4661

I doubt they have a separate TG on Pal 800.

If I am not mistaken, Columbia Co. gave GSP and DNR the boot from the VHF SO channels. For some reason, they did not allow any other agency the use of their freqs.

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
mjbjr,

If you are asking about receiving SEGARRN from Macon, you'll have to have a tall antenna to hear it.

I doubt it would be worth the try unless you had some weather helping you and a few hundred feet of antenna elevation...

SCPD

QRT
GSP has two talk groups assigned on the Pal 800 system though I've never heard activity on them. They usually use the RCSO talk groups when working in their area(s). GSP Dispatch has a Hex of 626 and GSP Roam is Hex 14b.

nbarco

Premium Subscriber
Are these the talk group IDs? And are they broadcast on the Augusta site?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

lep

mjbjr,

If you are asking about receiving SEGARRN from Macon, you'll have to have a tall antenna to hear it.

I doubt it would be worth the try unless you had some weather helping you and a few hundred feet of antenna elevation...

At present the most westward SEGARRN site is #003 in Statesboro although the stated plan is to extend it along I-16. There is a site in Bryan co-located with WVAN-TV pbs station.

SCPD

QRT
Nbarco,

Not sure if they're broadcast on the Augusta site, I assume they could if the radio affiliates with the site.... they can broadcast on any site the radio affiliates with as long as the data control channels are programmed into the radio. Their radios have three different trunk radio systems programmed into them, I got the talk group info after reading the code plug of one of the GSP troopers.

I have those talk groups programmed into my scanner and haven't heard anything. They, GSP, usually use the Richmond County talk groups when they're operating in the Augusta area.

mjbjr

mjbjr,

Thanks,what about local? Am i able to pick them up with stock equipment? Or will they talk on the local pd/sheriff freq?

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
@mjbjr

Last I heard, the Macon area troopers were still on 154.680/154.800. With the troopers being issued XTS2500 700/800MHz radios statewide, I wouldn't be surprised if they used Macon/Bibb County or Houston County talkgroups. However, in my travels, I have not heard them on there. Each jurisdiction has to approve troopers on their frequencies and the trooper has to have the right equipment and programming.

South of Macon and to the FL/GA line, GSP uses car-to-car alot with local LEA (154.905). Don't forget about listening to the other (new) LEA VHF interop channels, either. The 800MHz ITAC frequencies are available (and used) as well.

So, listening to GSP on the SEGARRN won't be possible from Macon. IF they build it out the entire lenght of I-16, then you could.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Could someone tell me what the LEA VHF interop and 800MHZ ITAC frequencies are, please?

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
GSP INTEROP 151.1375 CH-13
GSP INTEROP 154.4525 CH-14
GSP INTEROP 155.7525 CH-12
GSP INTEROP 158.7375 CH-15
GSP INTEROP 159.4725 CH-16
GSP INTEROP 169.5375 CH-17

PUBLIC SAFETY 8CALL 851.0125
PUBLIC SAFETY 8TAC1 851.5125
PUBLIC SAFETY 8TAC2 852.0125
PUBLIC SAFETY 8TAC3 852.5125
PUBLIC SAFETY 8TAC4 853.0125

Courtesy of RadioReference contributors and the NIFOG http://www.ncdhhs.gov/dhsr/ems/pdf/nifog.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.