Clayton county 700MHz update

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Just a heads up, the new Clayton county 700MHz system will supposedly be going live in June. Do not know the exact date.

Two things worth mentioning, ALL of the cities except Morrow will be on the new system, and ALL public safety talkgroups WILL be encrypted with AES-256 encryption, ALL of them.

The existing analog systems will remain in place through the end of the year until the migration is complete then those analog repeaters will be decommissioned.

My source is from someone involved with the project. Just wanted to give all of your Clayton county folks a heads up, there will soon be NOTHING to scan in ClayCo as all public safety will be using AES-256 encryption.

wise871

Database Admin
That is really going to suck. Wonder why Clayton is hitting the encryption so hard when the rest of the metro area is in the clear.

CapStar362

probably because of the same thing thats going on with all high crime rate areas..... streaming..... i used to live in Clayton, people have 2 and 3 phones usually and thats no joke either

RRR

Premium Subscriber
probably because of the same thing thats going on with all high crime rate areas..... streaming..... i used to live in Clayton, people have 2 and 3 phones usually and thats no joke either

Streaming online is exactly the reason. Victor Hill has nothing to do with the city departments going onboard and encrypting them.

And Clayton is in Rabun County, Georgia.....

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Ok, it is the reason that keeps getting brought up amongst the powers that be.

They seem to be tired of the news media from 12 states away combing through their every spoken word that has been streamed online and saved for later examination. They are tired of half the criminals having apps on their phones and listening in.

It takes somewhat of a significant investment and knowledge to have a proper working scanner to pick up on the current trunking systems, and the number of people that do is so miniscule, and the character of these people (us) is no threat, so it's usually not worth worrying about. But when it is so freely put out over the internet, then there becomes a "reason" for the powers that be to do something to keep that from happening, hence encryption.

CapStar362

Streaming online is exactly the reason. Victor Hill has nothing to do with the city departments going onboard and encrypting them.

And Clayton is in Rabun County, Georgia.....

i mearly shortened the phrase Clayton County into just Clayton, i frequently do this.....lived there for 9 years, now in rockdale, prior to clayton - fayette for almost 18

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
CLAYTON COUNTY

MTS2000 - if someone found an AES-256 module for a Motorola two-way radio, would they be able to listen to Clayton County's new system? Does Gwinnett also use the same encryption?

Metrofire31

N8IAA

MTS2000 - if someone found an AES-256 module for a Motorola two-way radio, would they be able to listen to Clayton County's new system? Does Gwinnett also use the same encryption?

Metrofire31

Mike, you'd need the key, and I believe, have to be affiliated with the system. But, I think that Erik would have a better answer.
Larry

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar

Metrofire31

You would have to have the specific key, and to be legal (both under Federal and state law) authorization from Clayton county to have said key in your radio. AES-256 is robust hardware based encryption. To load the key into a subscriber radio, you would need a separate hardware keyfill device, known as a "KVL" (Key Variable Loader).

Gwinnett uses Motorola's proprietary Motorola software based encryption known as ADP, or Advanced Digital Privacy. ADP is weak 40 bit RC4 based encryption. ADP is typically a software feature sold as a Flashport upgrade option in Astro 25 radios. It does not require a hardware keyfill device, keys are loaded in via Customer Programming Software (CPS). It is also worth mentioning that ADP can also exist as a HARDWARE encryption option in radios with hardware encryption boards (radios can support multiple encryption algorithms on such models). If ADP is a hardware option, then a KVL is required to load the ADP keys.

Same deal here, programming a radio with the appropriate key would require authorization from Gwinnett county to avoid breaking both Federal and state law.

Have fun getting that authorization, they are encrypted because they do NOT want ANYONE outside their agency nosing in.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
I have no interest nor motivation to request affiliation or a key. I have no legitimate reason to request it. I was mainly just curious to what extent the encryption module activated the de-encryption capability. Thanks, Erik and Larry for your explanation. I would add to the earlier post in this thread that I believe the webcasting of scanner radio traffic to anyone on the internet has significantly damaged our hobby. It's just one example of technology taking a hobby well beyond it's original "borders".

Status
Not open for further replies.