Adel Ga. 800 Mhz. pair

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I see where Adel, Ga. has an 800 Mhz. frequency pair for the city, poss. police dept. Are they running a single channel repeater on 800 there? The rest of the area (in Cook county) appears to still be on VHF. I know Lowndes co. to the South is on 800, but it doesn't appear that Adel's is related to it.
Anyway, I thought that was interesting for a smaller city to have a single channel 800 MHz channel (repeater pair). Could someone in the know shed some light on this, please?

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Maybe they wanted a frequency to go that most locals don't have a scanner to hear them?
Larry

Sure would be an expensive, illogical option, to have a separate radio system simply to have a "channel" to go to, to hide from locals. Encrypting a VHF channel would surely be more cost effective, and easier.

ecps92

IT is also P25 , per the FCC Licenses

I see where Adel, Ga. has an 800 Mhz. frequency pair for the city, poss. police dept. Are they running a single channel repeater on 800 there? The rest of the area (in Cook county) appears to still be on VHF. I know Lowndes co. to the South is on 800, but it doesn't appear that Adel's is related to it.
Anyway, I thought that was interesting for a smaller city to have a single channel 800 MHz channel (repeater pair). Could someone in the know shed some light on this, please?

shaagemtp

Premium Subscriber
The City of Adel Police Dept did go to a single channel, P25 800mhz channel. They are not trunked, just single channel. They wanted to upgrade the radio system to keep local "scanner jumpers" and "scanner listeners" where they couldn't listen unless they had an expensive scanner. The Cook County SO has gone to a VHF Encrypted channel for the same reason. City FD, County FD, and EMS are all still VHF Regular. Sparks and Lenox now operate on the old SO Band.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Would have been so much cheaper and made more sense to have bought Mototrbo or NXDN radios, instead of going to an entirely different radio system. (Going to 800MHZ when you did have VHF is not "changing channels") So now they have interoperability with.... Lowndes county, maybe?

What kind of "Encryption" does Cook county use? ('Trbo, NXDN, inversion scrambling..??)

Status
Not open for further replies.