Augusta National Golf Club - MotoTRBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanRollman

Database Admin
While attending the Masters golf tournament at Augusta National Golf Club today, I noticed staff were using new XPR7550 MotoTRBO radios, rather than the LTR radios I've seen in years past.

Upon further research tonight, it looks like last month Augusta National obtained a license for a new 20-channel (10 frequencies, 2 timeslots each) MotoTRBO trunked system. See WPUI781 (AUGUSTA NATIONAL GOLF CLUB INC) FCC Callsign Details

Anyone monitoring this new MotoTRBO system in Augusta, on DSD+ or otherwise?

Dan

marksmith

It makes sense that they would go to something very hard to monitor. It was probably the deciding factor in choosing the system.

Mark
536/HP1e/HP2e/996P2/996XT/396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

DanRollman

Database Admin
It makes sense that they would go to something very hard to monitor. It was probably the deciding factor in choosing the system.

Mark
536/HP1e/HP2e/996P2/996XT/396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

Hard to monitor? Are they encrypted? Absent encrypted, MotoTRBO is very easy to monitor. A free software app and a $20 USB dongle works. Or a Connect Systems CS700 that costs less than $200 works too. Again, unless they are encrypted.

Anyway, back to the question at hand: Anyone have actual details on this system?

Dan

balibago

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
also

Also if they have only the basic privacy you could with a bit of work and using a similar radio and Motorola software possibly check all key combinations. Not that I'd encourage such illegal behavior.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Just glance at the radio display while walking by, if you see the padlock icon in the lock position, forget trying to do anything with a dongle. If the padlock indicates unlocked, then stalk away.

Or just wait to listen for a talk permit, high pitched talk permit=clear voice, low pitched talk permit=coded.

DanRollman

Database Admin
Just glance at the radio display while walking by, if you see the padlock icon in the lock position, forget trying to do anything with a dongle. If the padlock indicates unlocked, then stalk away.

Or just wait to listen for a talk permit, high pitched talk permit=clear voice, low pitched talk permit=coded.

Great idea, Erik. I can't believe I didn't think to get close enough to check the lock icon. I did get close enough to see a radio tuned to a channel called "GALLERY" but didn't even think to try to see the status of the lock symbol the day I was on the course. Talk permit tone idea wouldn't have worked, however, since all radios on course use earpieces 100% of the time.

Dan

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Hard to monitor? Are they encrypted? Absent encrypted, MotoTRBO is very easy to monitor. A free software app and a $20 USB dongle works. Or a Connect Systems CS700 that costs less than $200 works too. Again, unless they are encrypted.

Anyway, back to the question at hand: Anyone have actual details on this system?

Dan

Oh that's just great.

So now those who are using mototrbo because they believe it can't be monitored will be sure to have the encryption checked the next time the radio are programmed.

Does anyone know how to monitor and hush about it anymore? Or is bragging about it the new norm?

DanRollman

Database Admin
Oh that's just great.

So now those who are using mototrbo because they believe it can't be monitored will be sure to have the encryption checked the next time the radio are programmed.

Does anyone know how to monitor and hush about it anymore? Or is bragging about it the new norm?

Is that a joke? Do you also lament people with Uniden scanners not keeping "hush hush" about their ability to hear P25 trunked systems? This is Radio Reference - where we, you know, exchange information about radio monitoring and equipment.

radiohead90

Seriously.......

Oh that's just great.

WOW Seriously.......

There are videos on YouTube along with written tutorials in excess on the internet. Explaining everything from how to change a tire. To monitoring DMR systems with a usb dongle. It would take 10 times the effort to learn anything about radio systems on this forum. From a NOVICES POINT OF VIEW versus watching a video. That would guide you step by step.

rapidcharger

Great idea, Erik. I can't believe I didn't think to get close enough to check the lock icon. I did get close enough to see a radio tuned to a channel called "GALLERY" but didn't even think to try to see the status of the lock symbol the day I was on the course. Talk permit tone idea wouldn't have worked, however, since all radios on course use earpieces 100% of the time.

Dan

Oh jeez. We have a whole photo gallery started with janitors butts with their XPR radio on their belt in an effort to see the display using the zoom of the camera. Anyone who wants to participate can submit the photo. But it has to have a radio on their butt. And the bigger the butt the better.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Is that a joke? Do you also lament people with Uniden scanners not keeping "hush hush" about their ability to hear P25 trunked systems? This is Radio Reference - where we, you know, exchange information about radio monitoring and equipment.

P25 systems aren't advertised as "Can't be passively monitored"

Mototrbo is being sold on the notion that it can't be monitored.

Durrrr....

This is also where radio tech's go, and system admins look to see what is posted about their systems. This is no secret

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Let's try and keep this on-topic. The discussion of how DMR is marketed and whether we should be discussing what we find is off-topic.

DanRollman

Database Admin
Hard to monitor? Are they encrypted? Absent encrypted, MotoTRBO is very easy to monitor.

I answered my own question, exactly one year later. The Augusta National MotoTRBO system is not encrypted.

It is a 10 frequency (18-talkpath system). Frequencies used are 461.6875, 452.7375, 461.5375, 461.6875, 461.7875, 462.1000, 463.5125, 463.5375, 463.7625, 464.4125, and 464.6625.

Groups heard in the last few minutes include 16, 101, 103, 105, 114, 118, 130, 136, 139, 140, 148, 155 (IT?), 158, 159, 160, 162, 166, 167, 171, 174, 191 ("channel 7"), 193, 195, and 196.

Also some private calls active.

dtscho

Database Admin
Capacity Plus systems use a maximum of six frequencies. It's possible this is a Linked Capacity Plus system, although the license only shows one site.

The way to check for a Connect Plus system would be to listen for a constant control channel on one of the frequencies. Capacity Plus has a "rest channel" that rotates among the frequencies. The rest channel is characterized by a short data burst every few seconds.

Dave

DanRollman

Database Admin
Capacity Plus systems use a maximum of six frequencies. It's possible this is a Linked Capacity Plus system, although the license only shows one site.

The way to check for a Connect Plus system would be to listen for a constant control channel on one of the frequencies. Capacity Plus has a "rest channel" that rotates among the frequencies. The rest channel is characterized by a short data burst every few seconds.

Dave

Guessing it's a Con+ system then. Was not using DSD+ or other software; I was just using my CS750 in Digital Monitor mode to identify and listen to new talkgroups. But it definitely had more than 6 frequencies active.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager

Prior to R02.30.00, Capacity Plus was limited to 6 voice repeaters (plus 12 data revert). After that, up to 8 voice repeaters (plus 12 data revert) could be used.

shajoe44

I was finally able to monitor Augusta National by hooking up my TRX 1 to my outside antenna. I am recording all transmissions so I should be able to find some more talkgroups during this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.