New at this... can only pick up the weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

old_wizard

Hey folks,

I'm in Savannah, Chatham County, Georgia and I just bought a Whistler WS1010. I'm brand new to this and I can't seem to get this scanner to pick up anything but the weather radar. Weather comes through crystal clear.

I've programed in many of the local frequencies found in the database here to no avail. The best I can get (outside of the weather) is static. I've done about everything I can do with the squelch. Tried it out about 2 miles from my house with no better luck. What could be the problem here? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hey folks,

I'm in Savannah, Chatham County, Georgia and I just bought a Whistler WS1010. I'm brand new to this and I can't seem to get this scanner to pick up anything but the weather radar. Weather comes through crystal clear.

I've programed in many of the local frequencies found in the database here to no avail. The best I can get (outside of the weather) is static. I've done about everything I can do with the squelch. Tried it out about 2 miles from my house with no better luck. What could be the problem here? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Welcome to RadioReference wizard.

Looking at Chatham County in the database, it looks like most everything is listed as conventional, most within the range that your WS1010 should be able to hear.

However, I wonder if that database page is in serious need of an update. Looking at the trunked systems in your county, I see this one:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6694
(Jon already noted that)

There are a large number of talkgroups listed for the county and city agencies in your county. I suspect that perhaps they moved to the trunked system, but the page was never updated. Possibly, no one submitted the information. If that is correct (they moved to the trunked system), then unfortunately they would not be monitorable with your scanner. The trunked system is a P25 Phase I (digital) system, and your scanner is not a trunking scanner, nor can it receive digital transmissions.

I would suggest that you ask that your thread be moved to the Georgia forum, so that someone possibly in or near the area can advise if I'm correct on the move. To do that, do not start a new thread, Instead, click on the red triangle in the upper right corner of your original post, to 'report the thread'. That will give you a notes field to state what you need, which is to have it moved to the regional forum. Hopefully, someone in the Georgia forum can confirm or clarify what the current usage is.

Also, see this post from the Georgia forum, which indicates that Chatham, along with other counties in that region, moved to the system I mentioned above.

old_wizard

Thanks for the fast replies and bummer.

I certainly don't mind this being moved to a more appropriate forum if you folks think that would work better. (Do I just need to reach out to a moderator of some sort?)

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Next time, you can use the Report Post icon to ask a Moderator to move your post. It's the little triangle in the upper right of your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.