Cobb County "Atlanta System" Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

tosh

Premium Subscriber
I have noticed in the last few weeks that I am no longer hearing the Atlanta system for Cobb over towards east Atlanta into Gwinnett. Per info. on RR it appeared that they had a transmitter on or near Stone Mountain. You could hear Cobb PD and Sheriff's traffic on that system into many parts of Gwinnett Co. Not hearing it anymore. Anybody have any info. ?

cavitt

Cobb P25

I've definitely noticed a drop off in my reception of Cobb, and I've heard they are building or have built new towers. I suspect things have changed that are not yet reflected in the RR database!

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I've definitely noticed a drop off in my reception of Cobb, and I've heard they are building or have built new towers.

Two new sites were mentioned in a budget document. One near Smyrna and one in Acworth.

I suspect things have changed that are not yet reflected in the RR database!

The two new sites for the Cobb zone are simulcast sub sites, so they will use the same frequencies.

Not sure about Bartow though, from what I have heard this will most likely be a separate zone.

tosh

Premium Subscriber
I read some previous threads that the UASI was supposed to be an interoperability system. I guess this never really moved forward. Did all of this occur when Cobb went fully to Phase II ? Is this what the "core upgrade" was about ?

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I read some previous threads that the UASI was supposed to be an interoperability system.

It was designed to be an overlay of existing trunked radio systems. It wasn't utilized as it probably should have for a variety of reasons.

Did all of this occur when Cobb went fully to Phase II ? Is this what the "core upgrade" was about ?

Yes. Cobb's upgrade to newer site hardware/software made the legacy equipment at the UASI sites no longer able to be connected to the Cobb zone core.

There were also no funding made available to upgrade the legacy equipment from UASI, the decision was made to replace this with ISSI.

We have done quite a bit of testing with ISSI across our systems and the results are good. We did a test this past week with multiple systems and automatic roaming. This will be the way forward with trunked interoperability until FirstNET starts making ground.

CSHIFTLT

Feed Provider
True interoperbility

Real test will not be until, a Moto system, and a Harris system have true ISSI.......(35- p25 systems around the state could be connected, by ISSI with roaming, and a handful of talkgroups, ((what a novel idea))
will not happen in state of Ga. (anytime soon)
cshiftlt

tosh

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the responses. Kinda bummed that I cannot hear that Cobb Co. stuff anymore over on the east side. It was a nice "bonus" I guess. I was hearing some of the cobb system better than DeKalb while sitting in DeKalb in some locations !! Such is life with the 436HP and its sometimes inconsistent reception of P25 systems. It also made me chuckle being able to hear Cobb loud and clear over in Lilburn, while not being able to hear Gwinnett County due to the "E" word.

papadoc

Premium Subscriber
Would this have something to do with the Cobb/Marietta FD feed on Broadcastify not being listed anymore? Or does anyone know what happened to it?

Last edited:

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
To answer the feed question from just going though the forums.

Cobb County is now a Phase 2 System and the Feed Provider does not have a scanner at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SkiBob

Premium Subscriber
To answer the feed question from just going though the forums.

Cobb County is now a Phase 2 System and the Feed Provider does not have a scanner at this time.

I know the database says this is a phase 2 system and some of it is, but a majority of the Cobb system can still be monitored on a phase 1 scanner. I am listening to it now on my 396XT.

Let's try not to confuse things anymore then they already are.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Ok not out there so I don’t know.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Just going by what I been told and what I have seen going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.