GSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

soberone14

Premium Subscriber
I travel through GA all the time but I can never receive the GA State Police I was just wondering if anyone else has this issue. I have passed patrol cars with vehicles pulled over and still hear nothing. Please help with this.

gh6406

Premium Subscriber
I travel through GA all the time but I can never receive the GA State Police I was just wondering if anyone else has this issue. I have passed patrol cars with vehicles pulled over and still hear nothing. Please help with this.

Not sure what you have programmed in your scanner, but maybe this link will help. Most all of GSP now uses the P25 channels, except around major metro areas like Atlanta.
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=816

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I rarely listen to them but I think it's also mostly digital, too, if that makes a difference.

fredva

Feed Provider
Was recently in Savannah and heard some GSP traffic on the regional trunk system. If you are travelling in an area where GSP has talkgroups on a regional or county trunked system, make sure you have those programmed in.

I don't know about Georgia, but in some states, troopers' traffic stops are often reported via MDTs instead of voice transmissions.

N8IAA

I have the 536HP programmed from the sentinal shows all the frequencies but don't hear them

Sorry you can't hear them. I use a RS Pro-197 for my main GSP monitoring, and it does outstanding. A PSR-800 and a WS-1088 do quite well too. Along with my 396XT. I did have a HP1 that heard them as well.
Maybe it's how the 536 is programmed?
A lot depends on where you travel in GA.

Larry

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
I just heard GSP on 154.115 as a DMR signal

Where? Trunk or conventional? The state systems in Georgia are P25 VHF Conventional, with a few lingering analog repeaters waiting to be switched to P25. Excluding the metro areas where they piggy back and DOJ which has some DMR. Some vehicles have secondary radios that have local systems programmed for the area that state LEO is assigned to. What you heard might have been GSP on a local DMR VHF system communicating with a local LEO or dispatch. In Morgan County I’ve heard GSP and DNR key up on Morgan County’s DMR system plenty of times.

-Dawson Adams
K4DPA - WQPN413
"I’m just here for the radios ok?”

fredva

Feed Provider
It actually said Georgia State Police I was around Carnesville when I heard it

What you heard was somebody else using a frequency that also happens to be assigned to a GSP post in another part of the state - Jekyll Island. That frequency doesn't have a PL tone or NAC, so your scanner is going to pick up anybody using it, and since the alpha tag associated with it in your scanner's programming says Georgia State Patrol, that is what is going to be displayed. But that far away from Jekyll Island in the southeast part of the state, you're undoubtedly hearing a business or some other user who happens to be licensed for the same frequency.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
It actually said Georgia State Police I was around Carnesville when I heard it

There is no "Georgia state Police" there -is- a Georgia state Patrol" The Legislature made it that way a long time ago for a reason, they didn't and don't want a "State police" in Georgia.

And yes, I have monitored GSP in Jekyll island on DMR on that frequency before as well, that would be correct.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
There is no "Georgia state Police" there -is- a Georgia state Patrol" The Legislature made it that way a long time ago for a reason, they didn't and don't want a "State police" in Georgia.

Who cares?

If I'm not mistaken, the Georgia State Patrol is a group of police who patrol in Georgia so they're also state police by definition.

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber

And yes, I have monitored GSP in Jekyll island on DMR on that frequency before as well, that would be correct.

Below are the only call signs for the State of Georgia that include 154.115 MHz. None of them have emission designators for DMR (Mototrbo). Which are 7K60FXD (data) and 7K60FXE (voice). The only designators listed are 11K0F3E ( narrowband analog voice) and 8K10F1E (P25 Phase 1 voice).

WQI348- Glynn County

KIG575- Meriwether and Muscogee Counties

KSL371- Richmond County

That being said, below is the only call sign anywhere near Jekyll Island that has emission designators for DMR. It's very possible that this is where the DMR signals are coming from that may one may receive at Jekyll Island.

WSL511- Laurens County / Laurens County EMS.

As for Carnesville,

WNIF562 - City of Helen Emergency Services in White County, also has DMR designators listed for the same frequency and its also with in a reasonable distance that if one where in Carnesville they too could very well receive the signal form this transmitter. Not to mention that its on a very high mountain.

At times I'm able to hear Rabun County Sheriff all the way in Morgan County on my mobile due to the height of their transmitter.

With all that being said, I'll reiterate my self from my earlier post.The state radio systems in Georgia are P25 VHF Conventional, with a few lingering analog repeaters waiting to be switched to P25. Excluding the metro areas where they piggy back off local trunk systems and DOJJ which has some DMR repeaters. Some state LEO vehicles have secondary radios that have local systems programmed for the area that state LEO is assigned to so they can communicate with the local LEO's. Same goes for Tennessee Highway Patrol and Florida Highway Patrol.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Who cares?

If I'm not mistaken, the Georgia State Patrol is a group of police who patrol in Georgia so they're also state police by definition.

Well, you are incorrect.

I have a wealth of knowledge on this subject, and was just passing it along. Just like you should have done two posts above this one....

https://dps.georgia.gov/history

Last edited:

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Laurens county does use 154.115 on DMR, as well as GSP Jekyll island, DMR. I have monitored both on regular occasions, on DMR (Mototrbo)

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
Laurens county does use 154.115 on DMR, as well as GSP Jekyll island, DMR. I have monitored both on regular occasions, on DMR (Mototrbo)

I definitely need to take I95 to Florida sooner or later so I can see this for myself, no disrespect. It’s just that it’s hard to be that an agency would utilize multiple digital voice modes instead of keeping their system consistent for the sake of interoperability. Not to mention that agencies especially a state agency are recommended to stay with P25 or analog systems for interoperability. If in fact GSP is using another digital mode for their primary communications than it has to be something temporary or some type of mistake with the DPS Communication Services Unit.

-Dawson Adams
K4DPA - WQPN413
"I’m just here for the radios ok?”

RRR

Premium Subscriber
No sir, it is on a remote location, (on an island), where only a few troopers are stationed, and is not dispatched as a normal GSP troop would be dispatched. One little GSP office on your left as you go down the road into the island that communicates with the trooper(s) on the island to relay traffic. I don't know why Motorola Mototrbo was chosen, but it was, and is in use there.

And, as info, not just any trooper can be assigned to "GSP Jekyll island" They have to take a special "Domestic violence class" that trooper school doesn't offer, so they can respond to those type of calls, since they are the primary law enforcement on the island. That is as close as you will get to a "State police" in Georgia. And GSP patrols Jekyll Island because Jekyll Island is owned by the State of Georgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.