Banks County NXDN??

Status
Not open for further replies.

twotoejoe

Anyone hearing any Public Safety traffic in Banks County? I finally paid for the NXDN upgrade for my Uniden 536HP and waited for Sentinel to support NXDN so finally I though I had everything ready to go, but NO: I've been trying to pick up traffic from Banks Co for over two days and can't seem to hear anything.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
You have to run Analyze and LCN Finder to get the Right CH ID numbers or you won’t hear anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twotoejoe

You have to run Analyze and LCN Finder to get the Right CH ID numbers or you won’t hear anything

Like I ask in another post; when traveling with the GPS attachment am I supposed to have to run the LCN Finder when searching for new NXDN systems? If so, then this makes the GPS attachment and Sentinel seem useless.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Like I ask in another post; when traveling with the GPS attachment am I supposed to have to run the LCN Finder when searching for new NXDN systems? If so, then this makes the GPS attachment and Sentinel seem useless.

If nobody ELSE has figured out the system before, using computer software or running LCN finder and other tools AND submit it to the database in this website then YES, the GPS is useless because it cannot magically figure out the specific system settings for everything it comes across. That’s the way it’s always been, nothing to do with Sentinel and GPS, those are doing their part of the job. The radio is FULLY dependent on the database being up to date and accurate if you want to monitor stuff without manually doing much.

(This is not directed at you Joe) But how I miss the good old days of the hobby, when the best part was the “thrill of the search and discovery”. Nowadays too many people want to push a few buttons and click a few boxes in a computer and expect the world at their fingertips.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Your 536 if it is updated to latest should work with analyze

twotoejoe

If nobody ELSE has figured out the system before, using computer software or running LCN finder and other tools AND submit it to the database in this website then YES, the GPS is useless because it cannot magically figure out the specific system settings for everything it comes across. That’s the way it’s always been, nothing to do with Sentinel and GPS, those are doing their part of the job. The radio is FULLY dependent on the database being up to date and accurate if you want to monitor stuff without manually doing much.

(This is not directed at you Joe) But how I miss the good old days of the hobby, when the best part was the “thrill of the search and discovery”. Nowadays too many people want to push a few buttons and click a few boxes in a computer and expect the world at their fingertips.

Banks County NXDN already shows up in Sentinel, as does the Baldwin repeater. Confused? What exactly does the LCN finder do?

Everything is up to date, both on my computer and the scanner.

I too, miss those days. But it was simple then. All you had to do was plug in the freq's and you were ready to go. Seems like that's not the case anymore.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Banks County NXDN already shows up in Sentinel, as does the Baldwin repeater. Confused? What exactly does the LCN finder do?

The LCN Finder is what will figure out the frequency order and numbering scheme the radio uses to know what frequency to switch to among all the ones programmed to follow a conversation. That’s a very simplified explanation. So once LCN Finder figures out the order, and in many cases is as simple as 1 thru 8 or whatever many frequencies you have, then you can programmed that into the System settings you’re trying to track and is done. Don’t have to do it again after that. Of course other systems use more random frequency number assignments like one on my area starts like at 142 and then almost randomly goes to 242. Without the LCN Finder feature or in my case, SDR software/dongle on a computer, it would be difficult to figure all that out.

After all that rambling being said, if somebody already figured that out for the system you’re trying to track AND submit it to the database along with the other info, then your radio should work. How to know if the LCN info was submitted, I’m not sure because even looking at some systems in my area I submitted, it’s not apparent where do they put that info for the radio to download it. In most systems on the database, they put a small number next to each frequency that signifies the LCN but I don’t think I see it for the system in question.

I too, miss those days. But it was simple then. All you had to do was plug in the freq's and you were ready to go. Seems like that's not the case anymore.

Yeah, those were the simpler days. Oh well, I guess we all gotta keep up or get run over by “progress” LOL

twotoejoe

UPDATE: I had to drive through the entire county today en route to Athens. Within minutes of passing the Baldwin repeater I had already recorded all of their LCN's and started hearing traffic when I switched over. As I got closer to Homer I tried to get the LCN's for both Homer repeaters but they would get all but a couple of the LCN's and then 'freeze up'. Same thing happened with the Commerce repeater.

At home I'm too far away from the Baldwin repeater to pick up any traffic. Looks like I'm just going to have to take an afternoon and drive down to Homer and Banks Crossing and just hang around until I can get all the LCN's. As soon as I get all of them and traffic verified I'll send them in to RR.

Status
Not open for further replies.