What is the youngest age you can apply for your radio license and get a call-sign?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB9LIQ

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Just have to be able to pass the test. I think my son was 12 when he got his

elk2370bruce

Once you've studied and can easily pass the sample exams that appear on qrz.com or other sites, check out ARRL.org. On the top, click on exam sessions, select your state and find out who's giving what when. It is a courtesy for you to contact the VE listed for that exam session before hand. His phone number will be listed. Good luck. You CAN do it. Age means nothing. Good preparation, common sense, and some reasonable intellegence will get you your ticket.

Matt93

Once you've studied and can easily pass the sample exams that appear on qrz.com or other sites, check out ARRL.org. On the top, click on exam sessions, select your state and find out who's giving what when. It is a courtesy for you to contact the VE listed for that exam session before hand. His phone number will be listed. Good luck. You CAN do it. Age means nothing. Good preparation, common sense, and some reasonable intellegence will get you your ticket.

Thanks so much!! Looking into it now. :lol:

nashscan

I wanted to get mine when I was 14, but for some dumb reason I put it on the backburner and didn't end up getting my license until I was 26. Don't be me!!!

James04TJ

As others have mentioned, age is no issue. I got my technician class license many years ago when I was 13. I know of several folks that their kids were licensed at 5 or so. The technician exam has been made to be so easy now that I am confidant that my 7 year old could pass it with an hour or two of study time and she knows nothing at all about radios.

gcgrotz

I wanted to get mine when I was 14, but for some dumb reason I put it on the backburner and didn't end up getting my license until I was 26. Don't be me!!!

Did the reason for that have anything to do with cars or girls??? That's what happened to me way way back!

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Ugh... PLEASE dont just study the test questions... I cant stand when people do that... You dont learn anything.

The ARRL has books with all of the formulas and theory in them available at a reasonable cost.

Your local club may even have them to loan out. Thats what I did... Bought the books, now I give them to anybody who wants them with one stipulation... I better see a callsign on the ULS!

But seriously... Getting a callsign without learning anything is not the way to do it.

No minimum age, I'm fifteen and i got mine in september, I'd say go for it.

I got mine when I was 15 and also did it in September. Only difference being this was back in 1971.

Other than that, what can a person possibly talk to a 5 year old ham about? Kindergarten romances?

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"Did the reason for that have anything to do with cars or girls??? That's what happened to me way way back!"
Me too, I had a car full of chicks fascinated by the radio and snatching the mic away from me.

"Other than that, what can a person possibly talk to a 5 year old ham about? Kindergarten romances?"
That, and what Bart Simpson was doing with the girls in the tree house. I think it had something to do with high frequency propagation, or propagation with high frequency.

K

kb0nly

I got my first license at 16, would have sooner but back then i was living on the farm and didn't have much time for anything else, then i got bored that summer and tada, a ham is born.

Status
Not open for further replies.