Taking the plunge

Status
Not open for further replies.

webley445

Decided to start studying up to get a Tech license.
Buddy at work just got one and there is also another fella that has had his license (higher grade) for eons.
They have both been very helpful. I really wouldn't have considered it but I recently got a PSR 500 and am able to receive ham and other traffic lots better. there is a local net that has a check in every sunday night and I listened in, ontop of other transmissions on other days. Figured I would give it a try, like I said sounds interesting now that I have actually listene in, i used to think it would be boring.
YouTube vids of guys talking thru satellites look exciting and the prospect of contacting others long distances from home is enticing.
My buddy lent me a ARRL license manual for studying and I've been reading all I can online.
Just had to post about it to help keep the motivation up.

KR4BD

Webley445...

Getting into Amateur radio is not difficult today. I am glad you also noted in your message that other hams have urged and encouraged you to become a ham. I get tired of hearing some people repeatedly complain that ham radio is a hobby of snobs and old men based on what they think or may have heard. Yes, there are some grouches in ham radio, but I have never had any problem ignoring them! There are grouches on this website, too, but again, I ignore them! I have been hamming for nearly 35 years and have encouraged many people to join the hobby. There are so many areas where you can enjoy the hobby, too. For me, it's DXing .... Although I also enjoy contesting, public service work, VHF/UHF operating, etc.

A tip for you: When you have read the book a few times, try taking some of the free, on-line tests. One good one can be found at:

QRZ.COM Callsign Database

Scroll down the left side of the page and select "Practice Tests". There you will find sample tests using the actual questions on the tests for all three license levels (Tech, General and Extra). Once you consistantly pass these practice tests, you are ready to take the real test!

If you need help finding a test session near you, check out:

ARRLWeb: Exam Session Search

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I just got my tech and it was pretty easy. If you've already got help then it should be even easier. Good luck.

screenersam

I hate motrbro
how much do a starter unit cost? I want a base unit on 10m.
I'm not going to bother with the license until I can get a handle on the equipment co$t.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
One thing I should mention, when taking the practice tests take ALL of them for any given license class. Three are out at any given time and you never know which one you're going to get.

"how much do a starter unit cost?"
How much are you willing to spend? At what level do you want to start?"

"I want a base unit on 10m."
There ain't no such animal unless you're a CBer with intentions of using what amounts to an illegal radio. Hams know better, every HF rig comes with 10M and much, much more. Besides that, with the exception of the occasional Stateside sporadic E opening and some local around town chat here and there depending on where you are 10M is dead and will remain so for a few years until the sunspots pick up. Generally speaking, the lower frequency bands, 40M and up are where it's at these days. (As the frequency goes down the wavelength goes up.)

"I'm not going to bother with the license until I can get a handle on the equipment co$t."
Don't put the cart before the horse, get your license and then think about getting equipment you can't use without one except to listen only. Besides, once you have a license to operate you can operate any ham station within the terms of your license. Once you join the community you'll get plenty of tips on used equipment at VERY reasonable prices and your new found friends will likely have something kicking around that's right up your alley, sometimes given free as a welcome gift. We're kinda like that you know, we're a one hand washes the other outfit and one day you'll return the favor by helping someone else get started, it's called elmering.

KC8TCQ

how much do a starter unit cost? I want a base unit on 10m.
I'm not going to bother with the license until I can get a handle on the equipment co$t.

You can get a decent 2m rig for less than $200

For 10m I would suggest a Icom 706, you can find them on ebay or hamfests for a good price.

I would also suggest studying for your general license as well, it's not that difficult. This will give you the full 10m band as well as voice priviledges on the other HF bands as well. HF is a lot of fun, especially working DX. My first DX contact was working a station at field day, worked a ham on Fiji on 20m with less than 100 watts into a dipole.

KC8TCQ

Don't put the cart before the horse, get your license and then think about getting equipment you can't use without one except to listen only. Besides, once you have a license to operate you can operate any ham station within the terms of your license. Once you join the community you'll get plenty of tips on used equipment at VERY reasonable prices and your new found friends will likely have something kicking around that's right up your alley, sometimes given free as a welcome gift. We're kinda like that you know, we're a one hand washes the other outfit and one day you'll return the favor by helping someone else get started, it's called elmering.

My first radio was a 2m HT that was given to me as a gift from some hams I was working with in NYC on the 9-11 operation, they knew I was studying and gave it to me as incentive to take the test. The first testing session after I returned home, I went and took the test and I haven't looked back since.

I've since given that radio to another new ham to help him get started, and he in turn gave it to another new ham once he got his station set up.

kb2vxa

Banned
A gift HT is a good incentive but as a starter radio it's only good in New York or another major city where there is a glut of an active repeaters. Anywhere else it's an extremely poor choice, I just mentioned it so they don't get the wrong idea and take it as a suggestion.

webley445

I've been l;istening on hams locally with my scanner and many of them mention that they are using an HT or mobile. Every Sunday evening there is a check in on a local net and there are always a few stating they are transmitting from the backyard or front porch on their HT.

not trying to argue, just relaying what I have heard.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
I've been l;istening on hams locally with my scanner and many of them mention that they are using an HT or mobile. Every Sunday evening there is a check in on a local net and there are always a few stating they are transmitting from the backyard or front porch on their HT.

not trying to argue, just relaying what I have heard.

Of course, it depends how close to the repeater site the operator is, what kind of an antenna, and it's not unheard of to use amps on HT's, like the Mirage BD-35 (http://www.gigaparts.com/store.php?action=profile&sku=ZMR-BD-35). I can get into the local repeaters on my IC-91AD with a Diamond SRH77CA antenna (Diamond® Antenna ~ SRH77CA Dualband HT Antenna) but I'm still a little on the static side.

There's many different elements that will contribute to either success or failure when trying to raise a repeater with an HT. Your mileage will vary.

screenersam

I hate motrbro
You can get a decent 2m rig for less than $200

For 10m I would suggest a Icom 706, you can find them on ebay or hamfests for a good price.

I would also suggest studying for your general license as well, it's not that difficult. This will give you the full 10m band as well as voice priviledges on the other HF bands as well. HF is a lot of fun, especially working DX. My first DX contact was working a station at field day, worked a ham on Fiji on 20m with less than 100 watts into a dipole.

I had the impression that no-code newbies could ONLY com in the 10m band; already I'm learning.

what freqs could I monitor to get a feel for hamtalk?
I have an old 'big stick' CB antenna; would this be useable for hamming?
info appreciated; as I mentioned I want to know what I'm getting into.

KC8TCQ

I had the impression that no-code newbies could ONLY com in the 10m band; already I'm learning.

what freqs could I monitor to get a feel for hamtalk?
I have an old 'big stick' CB antenna; would this be useable for hamming?
info appreciated; as I mentioned I want to know what I'm getting into.

under the new regulations, a technician has all of the old novice priviledges as well as the technician priviledges. So you can talk SSB on 28.300-28.500, as well as cw on 10m, 15m, 40m, and 80m.

Your antenna will work for 10m either with a tuner, or by trimming the length. Unless you have the data/spec sheet for your antenna I do not reccomend trimming. It will load on 10m with just a tuner just fine. I use a 11m antenna for 10m, 12m, and 15m with my Icom 706 and a MFJ Versatuner.

elk2370bruce

Once you have your ticket and a decent little VHF/UHF rig, consider getting your feet wet with nationwide and international dx via VOIP and the IRLP. Go to IRLP - Internet Radio Linking Project for some initial learning curve. Relax, its not a steep curve. If you have some success, give our club IRLP node 4777 a call. We always welcome new people to talk to.

kb2vxa

Banned
It seems you guys have forgotten that Technician Class has FULL privileges above 30MHz and a whole lot of "no code newbies" are Extras. Yup, you can take all the tests in one day if you have the smarts and are willing to study. Don't be a 10M CBer, expand your horizons, expand your mind.

screenersam

I hate motrbro
I'm close to jumping in. I plan on getting a 2m mobile rig and setting up as a base unit; I have a RS power converter 220-12v; presumably this will work. I can get a basic Yaesu for under $150. hopefully will get a book today and take the test early April (Hamfest in my area)...at least that's the plan.
now I need to scounge a 2m antenna...

kb2vxa

Banned
"what freqs could I monitor to get a feel for hamtalk?"
All of them. HF is a bit formal while VHF is laid back chit chat. There is no real "hamtalk", plain language will do nicely, it's NOT CB with all that stupid lingo.

"I have an old 'big stick' CB antenna; would this be usable for hamming?"
Being a vertical dipole it'll do nicely, especially for FM but you'll need your General Class ticket to go that high on the band. Just cut the top foot off with a fine tooth hacksaw and glue a small rubber boot on it to keep moisture out and keep it from fraying. A tuner will help it cover the entire band but the idea behind cutting it down is it's more efficient. The tuner won't lower the SWR one bit, only fool the transmitter into seeing a 50 ohm load. Incidentally it's not all that good an antenna in the first place being plagued with rain static. Fiberglass being non conductive picks up static charge and the coronal discharge makes a lot of noise. Not saying you can't use it, just that even for CB you can do better like a Cushcraft Ringo and then you won't need a tuner.

Eh Sam, why the 220V? Then there is "presumably" so frankly I wouldn't count on it, especially anything from Rat Shack. Your best bet is a 13.8V regulated supply with a minimum of 20A continuous output, at 50W transmitter output power it gives you a 100% safety margin, a decent bit of headroom. Rule of thumb, take the transmit current draw and double it to determine the amperage you need to supply, I never go less than 200% as not to overheat and let the smoke out. You know it's essential for anything electrical to operate and they don't sell replacement smoke.

I had cd player that developed a leak in the smoke tube. That thing used a lot of smoke, so much so that the electronics guy told me it would be cheaper to buy a new radio. Evidently they have a tough time collecting it and importing it from the island is kind of a hassle.

screenersam

I hate motrbro
it converts household current to 12v; used to bench-test auto accessories I imagine. been using it to power a vhf marine radio (receive only), so I'm guessing it would power a mobile ham unit. I guess that would be 120, not 220 (household current).
I'll probably get a stock 2m antenna in the $50 range for starters. thanks for the interest; I got a lot to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.