Exact process after taking exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

srd84

I'm going to take my exam 4 Apr. Do you fill out the FCC forms there at the test site? Do they have the forms there? They submit the form for you?

Also can I try to pass the General at the same time? Does that cost more?

Thanks,

Steve

James04TJ

Most VE teams will have you fill out the form (that they will provide) at the testing site. Many VE teams use abbreviated forms. They will retain the forms as they submit your testing data to the FCC in an electronic batch.

You may take as many elements as you want (although there are now only three) during any test session. The decision to allow you to do so is up to the VE team. If they are booked for the test session they may not allow you take multiple elements unless you have notified them in advance that you wish to do so. I have never had to pay for an exam session (the Laurel VEC does not charge) so I am not sure if they will require you to pay for multiple exams or not.

jcop225

Radio Zoomer
If you are being tested through an ARRL VE (most common) they will have you fill out a form before you begin, the form can be downloaded before hand from http://www.arrl.org ,to save time. Make sure to have you fee, $15, two ids, photo is best, and knowledge of social security number, required for lisencing. You can keep taking exams as long as you pass them. from VEs I have talked to for those who study well, double plays, Tech&General, are not uncommon, but triple plays are rare

Good Luck.

Last edited:

srd84

Thank you for the info. I'm going to try for a double play Tech/General. I'm studying hard. Is there a list of acceptable second id's? SS card good enough?

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the info. I'm going to try for a double play Tech/General. I'm studying hard. Is there a list of acceptable second id's? SS card good enough?

They will definitely take a Social Security card. Before I took my test I called the ARRL hotline to see what ID's I would need to bring and they said they would even accept student ID's from your current institution (if you're a student) if you're in high school or college. So anything like a school ID or better will work.

jcop225

Radio Zoomer
Per ARRL

Bring a picture ID (drivers license, passport) OR, when no photo ID is available, two forms of identification must be presented (birth certificate, report card, library card, Social Security card, utility bill, bank statement, etc.). Students may bring a school ID, and/or a written note from a legal guardian. To be prepared you should also bring two number two pencils with erasers and a pen. A calculator with the memory erased is allowed. You may not bring any written notes or calculations into the exam session.

If you have additional questions, call the ARRL’s toll-free line at 1-800-32NEWHAM. You may also request an informational ham radio prospect package.

ARRLWeb: Where Do I Start?

I only mentoned the SS beceause it requires your number on the form I used my student (photo) id and that was sufficent.

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
I got an FRN and used that one because I did not have an SSN back then. That and an Arizona State ID was enough.

ralphb72

I got the double play but failed the third. When I saw them scratching their heads about the extra test and asking each other if they had the right grading template, I knew I didn't do well on that one!! I knew I wasn't ready for it though.

KC9PKF

I don't have a radio yet but I hit a repeater in the next county today though echolink and heard it on my scanner. Even my wife thought that was neat (or she did a good job faking it)! Sadly, no one was on to talk to at that time :-(

Last edited:
K

kb0nly

Congrats!

You will get the Extra with a little more work. We had one guy here that tried the Extra over and over, getting a bit closer to passing each time, then the last time he took it he didn't miss a single one. Always fun being a VE to see the new hams coming in to test.

srd84

Thanks everyone. I took my exams this morning and passed Tech and General. I should have tried for Extra too (they offered) but I wanted to quit while I was ahead. I didn't study element 4 at all. Now I'm sitting here with my transceiver and my CSCE beside me and wondering how long it will take. The lady said around 7 days...we'll see. As I waited to register, some older gentlemen were voicing their opinions that the general exam was too easy. Some younger guys were joking about flux capacitors...and I was trying hard to remember frequencies, bauds, atmospheric layers and what not. It was alot of fun...especially after I passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.