Notification Services?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKYNET156

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
I am familiar with all different types of trunking systems and radio services,

One thing i find myself asking is, What is a Radio Notification Service?
I understand that it is a service that people subscribe to with the company hosting the repeaters and such,
But how does it work?

I envision that it's people sitting in a room with a bunch of radio equipment and scanners and re-reporting in progress calls?

Also, How does a Radio Notification Service benefit public safety users?

I find myself looking in different forums on this site and this is something that sparked my sunday afternoon boredom fest...

James04TJ

I assume that you are talking about the "service" in some areas that expands on text notification services similar to BNN, the old MFN, etc... If that is the case you captured exactly what it is all about. There is no real benefit (in my opinion) to public safety users compared to "fire buffs". It allows the fire buff to feel a little closer to the action and have an official feeling by carrying a radio that they can talk on. There is however a benefit to the media who use it as a powerful news gathering tool.

By the way, these services have nothing to do with amateur radio. They operate on Part 90 commercial community repeaters.

SKYNET156

Duplicate account of Tom Sherman
Banned
Ok, i am starting to understand,

So it is people sitting around re-reporting crimes?
do they listen to scanners and report it over the air at their dispatch center or whatever it is they call it for a better lack of terms,

i have found a few services that offer a area of networked repeaters, so i am assuming that is what they do with them,

Status
Not open for further replies.