amateur radio operators license - scanner related

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelltara

Premium Subscriber
Hi,
I tried once to learn morse code around 9th grade so I could go on to get a ham license. I never did finish that as school etc.. got in the way. I hear they have dropped the morse code requirement?
Also when traveling you are required to have a ham license. Which one is the one to go for and how does one go about it? I see at the arrl site there is several to take:
Technician Class License
General Class and
Extra class

Where do I start and which one do I want to go for? Is it better to find a class or self study?
Thanks

W6KRU

It's pretty easy to get your license with self study. The technician is the entry level license and gives you full vhf/uhf privileges. The general license gives you HF privileges and extra gives you additional HF privileges.

n5ims

The order you have listed should be how you should start since these are how the tests are designed. The General class license test contains the Technician and the Extra test contains all three.

A good place to start is ARRLWeb: ARRL Home Page or a local amateur radio club. You may also check to see if there is a hamfest in your local area, which would give you a great place to start.

Self study or classes are both great options (as are doing both together). The class would be more formal, while self study allows you to set the pace. There are several books available as well as on-line to help. When you think you're ready, start taking the on-line tests to see what you still need to work on. Once you can easily pass them, you should be ready for the real test.

Good luck!

nd5y

The General class license test contains the Technician and the Extra test contains all three

That isn't how it works. All three tests are different.
If you don't have a license you have to pass the Technician test first, then General, then Extra, in that order, but not necessarily at the same time.

davidbond21

Are Technician, General, and Amateur Extra the only licenses still available? Do they still issue Novice or Tech Plus licenses?

I'm guessing the only reason I don't know is because I'm using an older ARRL manual from a used book store and it's whole emphasis is on getting the Novice license, with additional info provided for receiving the Tech(and Plus) as an afterthought. Although I should know how dated the book is when there is a single paragraph describing the exciting future computers may hold for ham radio. Still curious though.

W6KRU

There are only three license classes now. Novice, tech-plus, and advanced are history. There are still a few around but you can't test for them anymore.

davidbond21

I used AA9PW FCC Exam Practice to study for my tech exam. I just took the test over and over until I got all the questions right. Many will say it's not the "right way" but it works.

Good luck.

I can pass the practice tests at qrz.com pretty handily as much of the technical info is all the same, but many of the parts about internet linking of repeaters and such is all new to me. I could probably pass the actual exam on what I know, but I'd like to go in knowing I'll ace it. That and I want to learn about all of it anyway.

Last edited:

n5ims

That isn't how it works. All three tests are different.
If you don't have a license you have to pass the Technician test first, then General, then Extra, in that order, but not necessarily at the same time.

Perhaps I should've made myself a bit more clear.

Tech exam consists of element 2, a 35 question test.

The General exam consists of element 2 (35 questions) and element 3 (also 35 questions).

The Extra exam consists of element 2 (35 questions), element 3 (also 35 questions), and element 4 (50 questions).

I'm not sure of the current policy, but in the past, you could sign up for the Extra test and you'd be given all 3 elements at the beginning of the test (assuming you had no previous credit or licenses) and it was possible to get the tech license and credit for element 4 if you passed elements 2 & 4, but failed element 3. You could come back within 365 days and pass element 3 and receive your Extra by showing your license and the CSCE showing you've already passed element 4.

kelltara

Premium Subscriber
Would the The ARRL General Class License Manual be a good way to go for self study? or what else would you recommend?

Paulsan

The ARRL manuals can be had from Amazon much cheaper than from ARRL. They are excellent books. You will need to start with the Tech book, THEN go to the General book. You can take both tests on the same day, but THEY ARE DIFFERENT TESTS. You can't take your General without having FIRST passed the Technicians test. Thirty-five questions on the Tech test and then thirty-five questions on the General test.

KevinGC

Perhaps he meant to say, when you are traveling in certain states (such as Florida) with a scanner in the car, you need a Ham license to exclude you from the law saying you can't transport a scanner in the car. You are exempt from this law if you are a licensed amateur.

k8tmk

I can also vouch for the AA9PW and QRZ online sample tests. My wife took classes from our local amateur radio club and took the practice tests from these sites. She worked her way up to Extra Class (W8ALK) a few months ago. The odd thing is that during 38 years of marriage she never showed any interest in amateur radio, even though I have been active since I was 15.

As far as books go, our club instructors switched to the Gordon West books, after finding numerous errors in the ARRL books. No, I do not have a problem with the ARRL; I have been a life member for over 35 years.

Randy, K8TMK (Extra with 20 WPM code)

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Amateur radio license

Actually with the laws some states are passing, this sounds like a great idea. When I took the test for my General Class Commercial license (then called a First Class) I had to go to San Francisco (the closest FCC field office), pay a fee and take a test.

- Can we take these tests online, or do we need to go somewhere to do it? If we need to go somewhere, where?

- Is there a fee for taking the test? If so, how much?

- Is there a fee for maintaining an amateur license? If so, how much?

Thanks

k8tmk

You used to have to take amateur radio tests in the same place where you take commercial tests. Today, many areas have a group of authorized volunteer examiners who can oversee testing. There must be three of these VEs present to take a test. They grade the test and have to sign a form that indicates passed or failed. You will receive your license in about a week.

The fee to take the test varies from one group to another, but is typically about 14 dollars. The FCC has limits on how much can be charged.

The FCC does charge a fee of about 20 dollars for a special "vanity" callsign. For example, my wife's callsign contains her initials. However, the callsign must agree with international and US callsign regulations. For example, the callsign must begin with A, K, N, or W. This may or may not be followed by one more letter. Next is a number (1-9 or 0) that generally indicates the area of the US where the callsign was issued (you do not have to change the callsign if you move to another area, and vanity callsigns do not have to match the area where they were issued). Finally, the number is followed by one, two, or three letters.

By the way, each country in the world has a unique prefix (beginning) of its callsigns. For example, Japanese amateur callsigns generally start with a J, Russian callsigns generally start with R or U, and Canadian callsigns generally begin with V.

There is currently no charge to renew an amateur radio license. A license is good for 10 years and can be easily renewed online in a matter of about 5 minutes.

Randy

jleverin

I would recommend checking out on the ARRL where your locally affiliated clubs are. Usually there is an email of a contact person so you can ask about local testing sessions. That's what I did, emailed the club contact person and they put in touch with the person who was in charge of testing. He emailed me with dates and times of tests. I showed up on the appointed date, paid my fee and took the test. Also got info on the local club meeting dates and times and was able to visit the club and make contact with some people. I have sinced passed the Tech exam and plugged into the local club and net activities. Hope this is helpful.

joeynshelby

Is it better to find a class or self study?
Thanks

I just got my technician license approx. 6 months ago. I used http://w5yd.org.msstate.edu/new_site/files/Element2_Study_Guide.pdf
this study guide helped me alot.

Here is a study guide for the general exam:

http://w5yd.org.msstate.edu/new_site/files/Element3_Study_Guide.pdf

and the extra:

http://w5yd.org.msstate.edu/new_site/files/Element4_Study_Guide.pdf

Once you have read over the study guide a few times go here eHam.net Ham Radio Practice Exams and take some practice exams. Once you can pass these a few times online you will be ready for the actual test. Hope this helps and good luck!!!

Joey

Status
Not open for further replies.