Thinking about getting a HAM license

Status
Not open for further replies.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Im looking around the internet to find reliable sources to study for but as i read on this site"http://www.hamradio-online.com/firstlicense.html", is it mandatory for morse code or is it optional?

Like i can be a regular ham operator without the use of morse code? I could probably go for that too but i dont think i would pretty much need it.

How much can the radio equipment run up to? would i be better off with a 2meter portable or a mobile unit or a dual bander, I really like this dual bander i saw, i dont remember the name but i think it was digital when it was shown to me at a local radio shop.

So how long does it take to get your license, the cost and what else would be needed?

Im in north carolina if that narrows it down for a few folks that reads this.

Im tired of these little kiddy radios.. time to upgrade to the real deal :D

Last edited:

W7RA

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

W7RA

Premium Subscriber
Most of the study material can be found for free:

check out eHam.net Home - Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Community Site and QRZ.COM Callsign Database
eham rates radios, has a forum , classified and has lots of reference materials.

QRZ.COM
Guide to Amateur Radio for New Hams

The test will cost about $10 and the license costs $10 for 10 years. The numbers might be a bit different now.

I like this model here

ICOM V8 IC-V8 2 Meter HT HandiTalkie

by icom.

Mmmm so i have to shop for study materials, maybe i could ask a few friends who are HAM operators if i can use theres "study guides" etc to look over and wait for the next examination.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
I mean how hard can the test be and what would be on the study guide?

I know for most people "that arent really into this" would say its a simple PTT and speak but its not, you need to be licensed, have a call sign and your own equipment... i guess before you even get on the air.

W7RA

Premium Subscriber
Most of the questions for the Tech are common sense, with some band plan questions, and legal requirements. The links I put up completely explain what is involved.

Some samples: Actual questions.

# What is one way to recharge a 12-volt battery if the commercialpower is out?
A. You cannot recharge a battery unless the power is back on
B. Add water to the battery
C. Connect the battery to a car's battery and run the engine
D. Take your battery to the utility company for a recharge
T0B04

# What is an important consideration when putting up an antenna?
A. Carefully tune it for a low SWR
B. Make sure people cannot accidentally come into contact with it
C. Make sure you discard all packing material in a safe place
D. Make sure birds can see it so they don't fly into it
T0C09

# How can you make sure your station stays in compliance with RFsafety regulations?
A. Compliance is not necessary
B. By re-evaluating the station whenever an item of equipment ischanged
C. By making sure your antennas have a low SWR
D. By installing a low pass filter
T1A03 [97.501]

# What classes of US amateur radio licenses may currently be earnedby examination?
A. Novice, Technician, General, Advanced
B. Technician, General, Advanced
C. Technician, General, Extra
D. Technician, Tech Plus, General
T1B02 [97.301]

# What is the purpose of ITU Regions?
A. They are used to assist in the management of frequencyallocations
B. They are useful when operating maritime mobile
C. They are used in call sign assignments
D. They must be used after your call sign to indicate yourlocation
T1C07

# Which 23 centimeter frequency is authorized to a Technician classlicense holder operating in ITU Region 2?
A. 2315 MHz
B. 1296 MHz
C. 3390 MHz
D. 146.52 MHz

stevolene

that alinco is news to me, although I dont know too many folks talking on 1200 mhz that HT looks really nice, still though I believe Id prefer the F6A kenwood

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Im thinking about attending a meeting tonight to see how it is... just wondering if anyone in north carolina or the alamance county area that can tell me what time exactly?

I looked up on google and there is no info on that :D so no smarty pant rants please lol

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The radios you are looking at are not much better then the FRS radios you have already. Icoms are OK, but I certainly would not spend $400 on an Alinco POS. You like Motorola so much, why don't you just use one of those GP300s you rant and rave about. Granted they don't have a VFO knob, but they they have much better sensitivity and frequency stability then any Alinco on the market. A good radio is one that can be licensed for use under Part 90. There is a reason they cost more.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Yeah i was rant and raving about em but i might want to get something so i can change freq's and all without plugging the GP back up but eh, I was at a meeting today, good group of folks, so im going back soon so im going to start studying for all the stuff to get my tech license, 35 questions but adding 300 more for what i heard?

I might just get that icom i posted up but there was another one i saw but was not FCC approved but this one i like the most.

Yaesu FT-270R FT270 Amateur 2 Meter HT

I think i might save up for that now while im in the process of getting examined. The GP300s I may just leave the MURS on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.