Passed the test

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided on Monday that I wanted to expand my options and get more into the radio world. I have a GMRS license, and every now and then I'd consider getting a HAM license.
Well, I finally decided to stop procrastinating. I studied for 4 days, took the test on Thursday, and passed with only 3 wrong (they don't tell you how many you got wong, but I watched the VE mark the wrongs ones with a highlighter).
I thought the test would be harder, but it seems all one needs to pass the test is to take onling practice tests. I took about 65 tests total, and after about 20 tests and a couple looks at the ARRL "Now You're Talking" book, I didn't fail a single practice test. .

Online tests really seem like the way to go. They make learning everything you need to know a lot easyer.
Though I'm not a fan of learning to the test (learning just what you NEED to know to pass), so I've since read the whole ARRL "Now You're Talking" book, just to make sure I know all the stuff.

The test site I used:
QRZ Ham Radio

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Not a problem for most people,being that the technician test is set up based on a 5th grade level.
Just for fun,I took the amateur "extra" test and passed and it seems that's set up for the 8th grade level,lol!
N9ZAS.

LOL! I'll watch for your upgrade!

The VE offered to let me take the General test for free, so I tryed it. I got 12 wrong. Not too bad for a test I didn't study for.

Another guy that was there taking the Extra class test brought a scientific calculator for it. That makes me think it's a little tougher than the Technician.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
LOL! I'll watch for your upgrade!

I have to admit it was only the practice exam,but I just had to know if I could do it!
I don't care for the h.f. bands,so I won't really do the upgrade.
Vhf and above is where it's at!
N9ZAS.

I have to admit it was only the practice exam,but I just had to know if I could do it!
I don't care for the h.f. bands,so I won't really do the upgrade.
Vhf and above is where it's at!
N9ZAS.

I have to agree. HF bands are great if you know CW, you can reach people all over the world.
HF radios are also a lot more expensive than UHF and VHF radios. I've already spent all my money on 70cm and 2meter radios, none left for HF even if my license allowed their use.

SlipNutz15

Wacker
Feed Provider
Congrats. I got the book that Gordon West wrote and studied all the questions for the tech level and got 100% on my tech test and then I studied the only tests on QRZ.com for my general and missed 4 and the ones I missed, I never got to study online so I feel I did rather well.

K2QI

The VE offered to let me take the General test for free, so I tryed it. I got 12 wrong. Not too bad for a test I didn't study for.

Another guy that was there taking the Extra class test brought a scientific calculator for it. That makes me think it's a little tougher than the Technician.

The extra is a harder exam, but not by much if you understand theory and can remember the formulas. I took my extra, and passed it in about 12 minutes. The VE said that was the fastest he's ever seen anyone take and pass the extra...

Status
Not open for further replies.