coax type for mobile use

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddemmers

Good Everning,
Can anyone recommend a good coax for mobile setup. I currently use 75 ohm but am a bit concerned about swr and would like to upgrade to 50 ohm solution.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
You didn't give us much to work with as far as the application, but most mobile antennas are factory supplied with RG-58 or similar size coax. In the case of antennas operating at higher frequencies, better quality teflon coax is frequently supplied.

If this is for a scanner, 75 ohm coax is fine. If you're running a mobile kilowatt on the ham bands, RG-58 isn't going to work to well.

ddemmers

sorry,
it is for 2m ham use. I am looking to set up my mobile. I have the radio picked out but would like to use something better than rg58.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You could try RG8X for mobile use as well.
N9ZAS

zz0468

QRT
Banned
sorry,
it is for 2m ham use. I am looking to set up my mobile. I have the radio picked out but would like to use something better than rg58.

If it's for 2m FM use, in the typical lengths used in a mobile installation, good quality RG-58 is just fine. Anything better than that would be a waste of money because you won't see an improvement in performance.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
RG58 is fine for mobile use. As a rule, I use NMO mounts with double-shielded teflon coax (100% foil / 95% braid)

RG8X or RG8 is absolutely not needed unless you have some type of high power transmitters in the vehicle, such as a contest rig.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"RG8X or RG8 is absolutely not needed unless you have some type of high power transmitters in the vehicle, such as a contest rig."

RG8X or RG8 is absolutely not needed unless you have some type of high power transmitters in the vehicle, such as a keydown in da bowl CB leenyar.

There, fixed it fer ya!

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
RG8X or RG8 is absolutely not needed unless you have some type of high power transmitters in the vehicle, such as a contest rig.

I use WR-90 waveguide for my contest rig, but I'm just weird that way. :cool:

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I have 100 feet of LMR-195 from another project, and ordered 10 NMO mounts to go with it. All tolled, between the cable and mounts, with shipping, it was $81.00. The cheapest I could find NMO kits with RG-58 cable was $12.49 (I'm sure someone knows a cheaper place, but it's all I found). If I get 10 antenna kits out of the 100 feet, it comes down to $8.10 per kit plus a little extra soldering time, and even though it's a negligible difference, it's still a better kit than the $12.49 one.

I have plans for four immediately, possibly a fifth if I add APRS to my truck and maybe two more on my son's truck, so 10 isn't really a ridiculous number.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I didn't know that there was much contesting in the 10 GHz band.

There's quite a bit actually, but it seems to be in localized pockets of activity. There's maybe 100 or so guys in California that are quite active on 10 GHz, there's a handful in Arizona, Texas and New England have large pockets of activity, and there's more scattered around the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.