Recommended 1st HAM Radio for Newb

Status
Not open for further replies.

FG12351

Hey all,

I'm interested in getting my Tech Certification and getting into HAM Radio, I like the idea of talking to others in the area (as well as the world) and having a backup comm. option if needed. I've found some links and references and have started reading up. What I haven't really found is a recommended list of radios for new HAM's. I'm definitely going to get my Tech Certification and may or may not go for the General Class License.

What would you guys recommend? I'd like something portable that is fairly durable and will be able to work in both the Technician level and General bands. Preset memory options would be nice as well as FM/AM/police band but that's not a requirement.

What do you guys recommend? I'd say keep it under $150 but if it's worth it I will buy it.

Thanks,

FG12351

georged4997

Premium Subscriber
try and get your general license. i have a icom 718 with a auto tuner. i made my own dipole
antennas. nothing like talking to a person in another country and receiving there qsl card.
some cards are outstanding. its great to think you just talked to someone 3,000 miles away
on a piece of wire. i think my radio was around 550.00 dollars not including the auto tuner.
but you could always buy used gear. i got mine from h.r.o in new hampshire. best of luck.
go for that license. alot of hams are in emergency communications also.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hey all,

I'm interested in getting my Tech Certification and getting into HAM Radio, I like the idea of talking to others in the area (as well as the world) and having a backup comm. option if needed. I've found some links and references and have started reading up. What I haven't really found is a recommended list of radios for new HAM's. I'm definitely going to get my Tech Certification and may or may not go for the General Class License.

What would you guys recommend? I'd like something portable that is fairly durable and will be able to work in both the Technician level and General bands. Preset memory options would be nice as well as FM/AM/police band but that's not a requirement.

What do you guys recommend? I'd say keep it under $150 but if it's worth it I will buy it.

Thanks,

FG12351

Welcome newb! My first suggestion before you plunk down a bunch of $$$ on a new radio is decide which bands interest you? That will help narrow your search and give you choices that will fit your preferences. Do you like hf? vhf? uhf? How much $$?
N9ZAS

W4TF

I think the icom 208h is a nice radio to begin with and get your feet wet on uhf and vhf. If you want to spend more you can buy an all-band radio like the Icom 706miik or Yaesu FT-857D that way you don't have to worry about buying another radio when you upgrade to general for the hf frequencies.

gewecke

Banned
I personally welcome NEW hams!
N9ZAS

Last edited:

n8emr

For a tech and for $150 your basically looking at a single band VHF or UHF radio. You might check out and see what repeaters and simplex operations are in your area. More than likely it will be VHF. Your $150 budget is right on the edge for a mobile and within range for a hand held. If your in a large city a handheld might work, If your in rural Indiana then I would recommend a mobile.

You can get an Icom 2200H, Yaesu ft1900, kenwood tm-271 All new gear. For a handheld. The Alinco Dj-175, Icom V8 or V82, kenwood K2, yaesu 250, 270 or ft-150. Again all new.

Keep in mind the price is just for the radio, no accessory. the mobiles will also need antennas.

bucknut937

Premium Subscriber
is this a good radio to get
Yaesu FT-60R Dual Band VHF / UHF Handheld FT60R Radio

im looking for a dual band hand held so im able ot get all the bands

gewecke

Banned
The ft 60 is great from what I'm told. I have a well weathered VX-5r.
N9ZAS

KJ6CFU

Premium Subscriber
FT-60R is a great radio

is this a good radio to get
Yaesu FT-60R Dual Band VHF / UHF Handheld FT60R Radio

im looking for a dual band hand held so im able ot get all the bands

This is a GREAT radio to get. I'm a new ham as well and bought this as my first radio. This will get you on the 2M and 70CM bands. Not sure where you're located, but there's probably some repeaters in both these bands in your area. It does take about 10 hours to charge (unless you also get a rapid charger), so be patient when you open the box. LOL.

You won't get much range with the factory rubber duckie antenna. I bought a dual band Comet magmount antenna that's sitting on top of my file cabinet, and the combo works very well. I bought the antenna for less than $40, and it includes about 16 feet or so of cable. It comes in a BNC and SMA version. You can get the SMA version since the FT-60R uses SMA and you won't have to buy an adapter. Diamond makes an antenna with similar specs.

SigIntel8600

Communications Receiver Nut
Premium Subscriber
Hey all,

Thanks,

FG12351

Do not get a handheld or a VHF UHF only radio, If you get bit by the HF bug, you will then need to purchase an HF radio. If you can put up a decent antenna, get yourself a Yaesu FT-857, for $600 you can transmit UHF/VHF and a slice of 10 Meter HF while you study for your General. If you cannot put up decent antenna (apartment, Condo, etc), Look at the Yaesu FT-857 and Miracle Whip antenna setup. Keep your power between 5 and 10 watts. My setup is a Yaesu FT-857D, an LDG AT-100PRO Tuner and an IMAX 2000 vertical antenna (cut for 10 Meters) on a tripod lashed to my back deck. I can Work 20-18-15-12-10-6 Meters. For VHF UHF, I have a mag mount antenna stuck on a filing cabinet. Not the optimal setup by far, but I make enough HF contacts to keep me happy. Good luck to you.

FG12351

Wow! Thanks for all the input! I'm seriously considering the Yaesu FT-60R to start. I live right outside Indianapolis and I have found several 440 repeaters near me. The VX-3R or VX-6R are tempting too but I don't like the fact that the VX-3R does not have a keypad.

Is 220 really necessary? Some people say yes and others no, Won't I be fine with 2M and 70CM?

For another $100 or so what is recommended? Kenwood TH-F6A looks good.

I have seen some used VX-7R's for $200 or so.

Will check out some of the options of the ICOM's too.

Thanks!

FG12351

N8IAA

Wow! Thanks for all the input! I'm seriously considering the Yaesu FT-60R to start. I live right outside Indianapolis and I have found several 440 repeaters near me. The VX-3R or VX-6R are tempting too but I don't like the fact that the VX-3R does not have a keypad.

Is 220 really necessary? Some people say yes and others no, Won't I be fine with 2M and 70CM?

For another $100 or so what is recommended? Kenwood TH-F6A looks good.

I have seen some used VX-7R's for $200 or so.

Will check out some of the options of the ICOM's too.

Thanks!

FG12351
220Mhz is not neccessary. I've heard a lot of good things about the RH-F6A, but it is really small. Don't buy a used VX-7R, they have had problems internally. (I know I opened a can of worms saying that) Hands down, the FT-60R is a GREAT first radio. I owned one, sold it, and bought another because I missed it so much. Audio is good for a HT, 1000 memories that can exist in 10 scan banks. Out of sight extended receive. FREE programming software at Jim Mitchell - KC8UNJ. Cheaper accessories: speaker mics, battery eliminators to power up in the vehicle, VX-150 hard leather case that can be modified for the 60. I can go on and on.
Larry

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Ditto everything N8IAA said about the FT-60R. I had one for over 4 years, and only sold it because I wanted the gadget upgrade to the VX-8R. Solid Tx and Rx performance, LOUD audio, and very tough case. IIRC, the FT-60 does not receive broadcast-band AM and FM, but I did use it to listen to local 400 MHz police/fire (FM), and civilian and military aircraft traffic (AM).

Welcome to ham radio. With your tech license, you can get the FT-60 and get on the air immediately on UHF and VHF (but not HF). You'll always need and use your HT.

When you upgrade to General and beyond and get HF privileges, you can start shopping for an HF rig. In the meantime, use your HT to make some local contacts, ask about local ham radio clubs, and get the ball rolling from there.

FG12351

Thanks guys! I think I will start with the FT-60R as recommended. Just seems like the best place to start and I won't be shelling out a ton of bucks to begin with. Thanks guys!

elk2370bruce

I personally welcome NEW hams!
N9ZAS

Yup!! Right on target. If there were no new blood in the hobby all these years, we'd still be doing spark gap cw with Uncle Hiram Percy Maxim (the same guy that invented the machine gun in WWI.)

As has been posted elsewhere in this topic, there are a variety of VHF and UHF entry rigs that do not have a pricetag that make your eyes bleed. The Icom you describe is a dynamite beginners rig. Some posters (me included) went for a 144/440 dual band Yaesu FT 7800R. This rig now has a 2009 clone that is labeled as the 7900 but about $ 250.00.

Talk to your ham club members, listen how their rig sounds on the air, and try out rigs that they use and prefer; then make your own informed decision as to what floats your boat and keeps you outta bankruptcy court. Its easy to spend over your head and we've all stretched it at one time or another with a "gotta have". Welcome aboard.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.