what is the equation for bands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mparker

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DRC83) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

I remember whille I studied for my tech there was a math equation that you multiply the freq by to get the band...

I am having a hard time remembering the band layout and freqs....

mparker

Wirelessly posted (Tmobile G1: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DRC83) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Ok so say I wanted to know what band 147.0000 is...

300\147= 2.05xxx. So its 2m ? That's easy..lol. any hints for remembering hf,vhf,uhf etc...

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You'll have to memorize them if you want to pass the test. Figuring out what band you're in won't cut it, you have to know where your privileges allow you to operate.

"Print out and keep the ARRL Band chart handy as a reference."
While they allow calculators cheat sheets are frowned upon.

Last edited:

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
You'll have to memorize them if you want to pass the test. Figuring out what band you're in won't cut it, you have to know where your privileges allow you to operate.

Well looking at his signature I'd imagine he already passed the test. Besides, as long as you pass the test, what's wrong with keeping a couple aids handy to be able to confirm what a fallible mind might imagine it knew (as mine does quite often)? Do you remember every frequency/offset/tone you'll ever need? I sure as hell couldn't.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I've cleaned up this thread. Lets please stay open-minded. We are all different and excel with memory, common sense, or whatever in our own ways.

Nubz

this formula IS used in the tech test though and also comes in handy doing many other things besides deciding what frequency you can transmit on

oh and not to nit pick njay but its
300/frequency in mhz=wavelength lol

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

this formula IS used in the tech test though and also comes in handy doing many other things besides deciding what frequency you can transmit on

oh and not to nit pick njay but its
300/frequency in mhz=wavelength lol

To nit pick the nit picking

299.792458*1.0003 / Frequency in MHz = Wavelength in meters (in air)

Of course, some say; "Life is rounded to 3 significant digits"
:lol::lol::lol:

N0IU

OK, let me try this again and hopefully I won't offend anyone this time...

First of all, welcome to amateur radio Mike!

There are actually two different things at work here, a theoretical application and a practical application.

From a theoretical standpoint, lets say someone wants to have a QSO with you on 7.035 MHz. So now if we apply our handy dandy formula, we get 42.643. There is no 42 meter band, but there is a 40 meter band. So much for theory!

But from a practical standpoint, you still need to know, "Can I legally have a QSO on that frequency?" Although you can trudge your way through Part 97 to get the answer, the easiest way to get the answer to that question is with one of those charts like you will find on the ARRL website as referenced above. There is no mathematical formula that will tell you where you can legally operate and this is why it is crucial to have one of these charts (or something like it) at your control point, especially when you are new.

I apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings.

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Banned
"this formula IS used in the tech test"

Like maybe I don't know that?

Mike, I think it's time you clarified your purpose and position before the Show Off Sharks devour themselves in another feeding frenzy. Being it's hard to believe you can't remember where Technician Class operating privileges lie I'l ask you directly what I have perhaps wrongfully assumed, are you studying for your General upgrade?

Or are you trying to figure out repeater inputs and outputs, which mode belongs where or what? That being the case the ARRL chart won't help you one bit, Icom published a rather useful chart and I'm sure there is more out there in Google Land.
Download Details

Now just to have a little pedantic fun:
"There is no 42 meter band..."
Yes there is and you found it.
"...but there is a 40 meter band."
Now look for it... SURPRISE! Have you figured out where the 41M international b'casting band is yet?
"So much for theory!"
Oh that's where the FUN comes in when you're a pedant but then you begin to realize the numbers get rounded off for convenience of memory... or maybe it was the slide rule, I can't remember. (;->)

Last edited:

aharry

I remember whille I studied for my tech there was a math equation that you multiply the freq by to get the band...

I am having a hard time remembering the band layout and freqs....

Why is everyone reading so much into this... it was a two line post summed up in the second line. He said nothing about studying for a new test or wanting a cheat sheet, said nothing about operating privledges for his license class, said nothing about anything except he has a hard time remembering band layouts and frequencies... which is why I suggested he get the ARRL chart.

Nubz

Why is everyone reading so much into this... it was a two line post summed up in the second line. He said nothing about studying for a new test or wanting a cheat sheet, said nothing about operating privledges for his license class, said nothing about anything except he has a hard time remembering band layouts and frequencies... which is why I suggested he get the ARRL chart.
x2 :wink:

mparker

Wirelessly posted (Tmobile G1: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.6; en-us; T-Mobile G1 Build/DRC83) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Wow this thread went the wrong way fast.... i havent checked since someone posted 300/freq. That answered my question....

To all the man eaters.... relax... ive passed my tech class but am still saving pennies for a radio, in the mean time i am scanning my local repeats and just keeping track of the lingo and the differant freqs. As stated i am paying attention to what talk goes on on the differant freqs and i was having trouble determining if i had privlidges on a certain freq....

Relax. Gesh.

On a happier note i should be getting a yeasu vx8r soon. :)

kb2vxa

Banned
Well Mike, thanks for answering my question and clarifying your purpose. More often than not poorly worded and unclear questions mislead as yours did and then there are the show-offs but that's another can of worms. Oh and BTW, I'm relaxed to begin with, if I relax any more I'll fall apart.

One little hint though, good thing you're listening and picking up on things but please don't pick up the wrong things. Repeaters are hangouts where operation is very casual so basically courtesy is all there is to procedure, pretty much the same with point to point FM simplex. When it comes to modes other than FM and DX it gets more like HF but we can cover that another time. Beware the CBers and the idiotic lingo, often even those who didn't bring excess baggage from another band tend to use "terms" where plain English will do. Please don't copy them, come the day someone asks me the usual question "Is that a CB?" and I agree is the day I mail my license back for cancellation.

"On a happier note i should be getting a yeasu vx8r soon."
Oh I've been happy all along, happy to help any way I can being it's my way of paying back the help I have been given. Speaking of which an HT is a very poor choice for a beginner's first radio due to limited range and versatility. Then there are problems with them eating batteries and overheating when used at full output for extended periods. Many new hams who go that route are quickly disappointed and quit before even getting off the ground, I'd hate to see yet another. You'd be much better off with a mobile, power supply and base antenna, once you become more familiar you may consider putting it in the car from time to time. Save the portable for last IF you think you need a portable.

Think first before you waste your money particularly since a 6M portable is like teats on a bull unless you happen to be sitting near an active repeater. Both 6 and 220 are very little used so regardless of what sort of rig you buy leave those bands to more advanced users. Your best bet is a simple, easy to use (few needless bells and whistles) dual band (2M/70cM) mobile with power supply and antenna as mentioned above. No sense getting in over your head first time in the pool, best you learn to swim first.

Good luck and have fun, that's what it's all about!

mparker

no worries, i am used to "differing opinions" of online message boards...

as far as my radio choice... i agree the 8r is a bit much for a beginner, but for one i dont want to buy a "beginner radio" then in a year or so turn around and have to drop a few hundred more on another radio... and two, i travel a lot and i want the ability to take my radio with me where ever i go, that is why i chose to to look at a HH for my first... a mobile would be nice too, and i might get one for a second radio but i am not interested in buying a mobile and its supporting hardware right now....

i am defiantly open to suggestions on which HH to look at, ive been recommended the 60r... but i feel after understanding/programming my bct15 i can tackle anything...lol

the other radios i am looking at is the 7r and kenwood TH-F6A

Last edited:

aharry

Hand helds certainly have a purpose... but his advice has nothing to do with the complexity of the radio. HH’s have very low power output which means their functionality is very limited. Many new hams have started with HH radios and have been so frustrated that they just give up on the hobby. Better to start with something that will let you reach out and really experience what ham radio has to offer. If you can barely hear what is being said and cannot talk to the group you want, the radio is useless.

For example, I am about 40 miles from Tampa and although I have at least a dozen repeaters within 10 miles they are either always dead or have a group of people I have no desire to converse with. However, there is an active repeater in downtown Tampa that has a great group of friendly people that are a true pleasure to interact with. I can talk all day and night with my mobile/base Yaesu FT-7900 but my Motorola HH can just barely receive the signal and has no chance of actually transmitting to the repeater! Sure I can key up and listen to dead air on my local repeater with the HH.. but it’s not much fun.

mparker

You make a good point, it sounds like ill be making a big sacrifice for portability... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.